• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE1600 TB upgrade

zr2toxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've done a lot of searching but am unclear on which mount and end will work to convert my RE1600 trackbar to a double shear. I was looking at this Currie joint http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=2961

ce9112sp.jpg

It's 3/4" LH thread.

Will that work with the IRO track bar mount?

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBDB&Category_Code=XSP

IMG_7532.jpg

I cant seem to find any specs on the width of the mount. I've read that most are over 2 1/2" but I want to confirm it before ordering.

I'm also concerned that the bolt size is different.

Anyone else have suggestions or better ideas to convert it. I really don't want to buy a whole new TB and mount if I can avoid it.

The frame end joint is bad in mine, so I figured if I'm going to replace parts I should change it over to a double shear.

TIA!

I just got one of the RE1665 frame side brackets and used the rod end (heim) that came with the RE1600 track bar.

I just got one of the RE1665 frame side brackets and used the rod end (heim) that came with the RE1600 track bar.

your best bet right here... exactly what i did.

ruff stuff has replacement heims for MUCH cheaper than that currie joint, which i cant say will fit.
a standard misalignment spacer is 2" wide. the RE track bar bracket is also 2" wide.
most other brackets are 2/5" wide to make room for a JJ.
im pretty sure the IRO bracket is narrower than 2". if its the one you want to use, a quick phone call or email can get you a solid answer.
the bolt hole can always be drilled out. i use a giant 5/8" bolt in mine now.

heim that came with my RE track bar, and ruff stuff heim:
251509_195151930539231_4284439_n.jpg

RE1600 track bar, RE track bar bracket, ruff stuff heim, giant washers for what ever reason:
222511_195151977205893_5691017_n.jpg

more info here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1065192

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and the link. That makes sense and would save some cash. I could just get a new RE end and that mount. Thanks!

your best bet right here... exactly what i did.

ruff stuff has replacement heims for MUCH cheaper than that currie joint, which i cant say will fit.
snip

You don't happen to have the part number for the Ruff Stuff heim do you? I can figure it out, but it would be nice to double check it.

I liked the fact that the Currie was greaseable. I'll have to see if any of the others are. Thanks again.

http://www.qa1.net/qa1_motorsports/...a-racing-series/xm-series-chromoly-steel.html

That is the rod end that the RE1600 comes with. If you poke around the site, you'll find greasable rod ends.

I helped a guy rebuild some Currie brand joints. They were a huge PITA! He bent a big C-clamp trying to get the new bushings compressed enough to set the lock ring. We used my bearing press, and a big socket, and a big hammer, to get those bastards back together.

When I had my RE1600 with the RE heim, I had a modified stock TB bracket to run in double sheer. never an issue. I did have to use a "spacer" which is the same as a washer, but it was slightly thinner than your standard washer. There's no issue with "spacing" the gap if your mount is wider.
I now have the RE1660HD+bracket and brace, I got a great deal on it.. otherwise I would still be running the 1600 and modded bracket.

Thanks man. Good to know. I'm still researching, hope to order some parts this weekend. My RE heim has slop in it, so I've got to do something. Got a good lead on hydro assist too, so I can't wait to get some of this done. Sick of trying to keep it within the telephone poles.

Point taken. I've heard great things about Ruff Stuff. I was just seeing if there were any out there with a grease fitting, that's all, you know checking as many options as I can.

I went with the RuffStuff heim and the Clayton double shear bracket. It's a little beefier than the RE bracket and if I ever want to run a Johnny Joint it'll work with that.

Back