• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Choices

bbarooo

NAXJA Forum User
Im ready to start working on a cherokee but I have two options and I don't know how to decide. I bought a 94 to start on but a 2000 found its way to me and I cant do both. Any advice to which one is the better start?
The first plan is a 5 inch lift and 33's.

Which has a cleaner unibody and a better drivetrain?

They are both clean and solid. Mechanically the only difference is the rear diff. The 94 has an 8.25 and the 2000 is an abs equiped d35.

Same trans too? If one's manual and one's auto and you have a preference either way, go with the one that you like... otherwise, I would go with the 94, better rearend and they're cheaper to get parts for, more donors in the JY right now, no ABS to disable, probably costs less to register/insure as well.

Maybe pick the 2000 up if you can afford to get it cheap and keep it in reserve or as a daily driver?

Yes both automatics. The money in each is about the same. My wife drove the 2000 for a while but she is ready to move on so its mine again.

Good point on replacement part cost, I hadn't thought about that.

I've heard that the unibody was stiffer on the 2000. Any truth to that?

No brainer - if the axle on the 94 is 29 spline, take the 8.25, put it in the 2000 and use that as the project rig. The D35 can go in the 94 and you can get rid of it.

Otherwise, if it's a 27 spline, it's a toss. I'd go for the newer one if they are in similar shape...

It did yes. I'm not opposed to swapping axles though.

I've heard the head on the later model is more prone to trouble as well.

The later model is better optioned (the 94 has manual windows and locks) and this should be a no brainer I'm just concerned that it's electronics and comforts won't be as trail friendly. I've wheeled a 94 wrangler for years and its very simple.

The head is the real downside on the late model... they don't all crack, but bad maintenance and abuse will make it more likely.

The axles suck somewhat on the late models too, but if you're lifting it, you are only a few bolts from swapping them anyways. The d35 is trash and the lp30 isn't quite as good as the hp30. If you don't mind dumping the ABS you can throw an 8.25 in the late model easily, you will need new U-bolts but they will probably come with the lift kit anyways and should be replaced either way. The transfer case output shaft setup on the late model 231 is more prone to vibrations but that's a moot point if you plan on installing an SYE anyways. IIRC, a 4.0/aw4/231 with SYE/8.25 drivetrain is about the right length to run a regular 4.0/auto front driveshaft as a rear driveshaft, which negates the need for a custom shaft or finding a replacement to fit a late model with an 8.25 when you swap the 8.25 in.

It's really up to you, there really aren't many problems with the late models offroad with regards to body/electronics.

Keep the 94 and sell the 2000, the 94 will be cheaper to run, probabley gets beter fuel mileage(less cats), the only thing the 2000 has better of is the steel hatch, supposidly the door seals are thicker(better sealing). The (4 can potentially be made into a way better vehicle.

You can ditch it, just pull the abs fuse and anything abs related, I did it on my 96, it's been fine for 6 years, however I want to delete the whole thing now, which will be sort of a pita.

The 1994 is a better rig mechanically if it doesn't have too many miles on it.

HP Front Diff
8.25 Rear
Regular Brakes
Less Emissions Crap
No vibrations lifting up to 4in
More used parts available

I like the newer rig better cosmetically but watching my buddy with a 2000 have driveline and brake issues eating up his budget was enough to make me thankful I stuck with my low mileage 1993 Country.

HP Front Diff
8.25 Rear
Regular Brakes
Less Emissions Crap

I like the newer rig better cosmetically but watching my buddy with a 2000 have driveline and brake issues eating up his budget was enough to make me thankful I stuck with my low mileage 1993 Country.

I'm pretty sure the 94 has th d35 rear end and the 2000 has the 8.25. My 2000 has an 8.25

ABS rigs have the D35. The 95 I just picked up has an 8.25. I'm thinking 96 was the split for 27 vs 29 spline. I'll count mine when I pull it as it's going up for sale. Of the two rigs in question here, I'd probably lean towards the 94 from a drivetrain stand point, but the 2000 has a nicer interior. :)

^ correct. ANY 91-01 XJ without ABS can have either the d35 or the 8.25 there is no rhyme or reason really. 96s used 27 spline at the start and 29 spline at the very end of the production run, counting is the only way to be sure but you can bet on 27 splines.

I'm pretty sure the 94 has th d35 rear end and the 2000 has the 8.25. My 2000 has an 8.25
Wrong.

He stated the late model he has has ABS, which means a d35 for sure.

They used both d35 and 8.25 rears in XJs side by side in every year. You can't base any sort of guess on what year it is. MOST (at least in my area) got 8.25s but there are random 35s mixed in too.

HP Front Diff
8.25 Rear
Regular Brakes
Less Emissions Crap

again, year tells you nothing about whether it has a d35 or an 8.25. All ABS vehicles got d35s but not all non ABS vehicles got 8.25s.

I would build the 1994, for all the reasons listed above. Also, the transmission on the 94 can be set up for manual control. You probably have the 27 spline axles in the rear, but you can swap the spider gears and put 29 spline shafts into your housing. (or even better, a 29 spline Detroit...)

transmission in either can be set up for manual control, but the 94 can be done far cheaper without setting off a CEL.

As does mine but because it has abs his is the d35. I'm guessing the 94 is the 27 spline? Tough call, I like my 00 but it has its issues like heat soak for example which I'm currently tackling. Easy fix but ugh Thks jeep. After 20 years they decided to go with a worse front axle, failure prone head and a bad design that cooks my fuel rail... Fail! Looks good though haha

Oh nice there was two pages and this has already been adressed... Fail

Back