• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible new owner, thoughts on this XJ

jjplagg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys!
Great site, enjoyed searching all the "best year" threads lol

So, i found one that I am quite interested in, but wanted to get your "offer" thoughts.

1997 4.0
AX-15
144K miles
clean inside and out
clean underneath, 1 small rust spot on the door (got nicked)
a/c, cd player
manual locks/windows.

the bad:
fuel gage doesnt work.
engine light for O2 - it was replaced but light still shows up (i dont have the codes on hand).

Asking $3750
Kind of annoying that there are several ZJs in the area, for same miles and price but will all the power options, leather and cruise.

What would you offer to start out?
thanks!

cool - thanks guys. Def saved me some money (and maybe headaches)

I saw a new 99 classic show up this morning with 125K on it. Looks good and asking $4,600 so its still in my price range.

I'd check out the prices of other Cherokees in your area. The prices vary by region. In CT for example, any XJ that isn't completely rusted out and still runs is worth at least $2500 regardless of mileage or year. 5 speeds are even harder to find, and '97+ XJs bring the money here. There was a 2001 with 98k miles that sold for $10,500 down the road from me. :eek:

ZJs have nicer options, but they also have the weaker Chrysler 42RE automatic trans. I can find ZJs all day long for $2500-$3000, but a comparable XJ seems to be more expensive.

And don't be afraid to broaden your search outside of you usual area. If you find something outside of your area, you can always ask for a fellow member to go check it out for you. Airfare is cheap and you can turn your new purchase into a road trip.

Could be helpful to post up in the local chapter forum as well. As a previous reply stated, the prices vary by region. The local guys probably have a lot of experience buying and selling, and know "the market" so to speak.

Don't rush. There are tons of these for sale. If you can watch for a few weeks, you will have a much better sense of what's out there.

I just returned from MI yesterday and noticed that there was a plethora of XJ's which prompted me to check out the MI Craig's List. I was surprised at how expensive they are compared to WI. I often see 2001 XJ's with around 170,000 miles in the Milwaukee area for $3500. A friend at work bought a really nice 2001 for less than $3000. I say, expand your search a bit and save some money.

There's a reason you see all ZJs and early WJs all day on CL for <$ than XJs. I could've bought a '98 5.9 Limited for $1500 a year ago and that was $40K+ 15 years ago? I prefer the manual: tranny, windows, and locks.

got my super clean 5 speed 1998 XJ with 170K on the clock back in 2009 for $1200 bucks in MA. Still going strong 4 years later with 216K on the clock as my daily driver. I don't think I could bring myself to pay over 2500 for an XJ, at least around here anyways.

I bought my '00 with right at 170k on it for $1400. Put almost 8k on it in less than 4 months, and other than the problematic 0331 head issue that I am going to fix this week, its been routine maintenance issues to repair. A water pump that had no impellers, factory radiator with the above mileage on it and basically a cooling system that needed some cleaning. I probably overpaid, but it ran great, got 20mpg, and I knew the seller, so I wasn't worried, I had wanted a later model unit. I bought a '94 with 153k that wouldn't start for $375. I have less than 1k in it, so I am likely going to fix it and sell it. I would love 2 XJs, but I need some driveway space, and well I don't have a lot into this one. I like the XJ's and I don't like paying more than $1k for one, unless the body is mint. The '00 has some rust in some bad places. The body is gonna need some work, but its going to be a trail rig, so I am not worried about some rust on this one, but the next late model I buy will not have rust, even if the engine is blown or has the head issue.

Jeff

Back