• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What ya think of this fix?

Sneaky

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm installing my R.C. Lift and other than the typical issue with the spring shackle that I was told was fixed since the springs being built are longer and softer. I'm ordering low profile shackle relocaters for that next week. Here is something else I discovered that I wanted to address. The axle gets pulled about 1-1.25 inches forward of stock. This in turn pits the wheel/tire closer to the front side of the wheel well. I thought about the reason for this and thought it was due to flex would put it closer to center when compressed. Not sure if that's what happens but it seems a little in-probable.
byjanuda.jpg

You can see how far forward this is in relation to the bump stop.

What I ended up doing was relocating the holes in the top u-bolt plate and in the perch. I drilled new holes 1 inch forward in order to push the axle back 1 inch. Next is to make longer spring plate with a bolt on it to hold the spring pack together since now there's 1/2 inch not supported between the perch and spring pack. What I discovered first off after doing this is that the e-brake cable on the driver side is stretched at its limit on the 6.5 lift. Maybe this is why the springs are made this way... Dunno. However I on bolted the e-brake mount where the single cable connects to the two for the wheels. This I will move back roughly 3 inches to gain cable movement. But the end result is pretty substantial and nice in my opinion. I noticed this difference right away with both sets of springs off of the XJ and measured a bunch trying to figure why they would manufacture these this way. Has anyone noticed this when doing theirs? Are other lifts the same?( I doubt it) what's you opinion of this?

badetyhu.jpg

Much better now. Shocks are mostly upright now too instead of angled.

the axle moves rearward as the spring compresses.
drink a few beers and look at the shackle. it should become clear why this happens

the axle moves rearward as the spring compresses.
drink a few beers and look at the shackle. it should become clear why this happens

Makes perfect sense... Why I didn't think of that. I'm still a little forward, I wonder if it'll be fine this way. I will be installing Napier flares on it when I get the money for them.

did you check it with the weight of the jeep on the springs?

When I lifted my rear, 6" total, using HDOR relocation brackets and 1" lift shackles ... I had new perches and plates made to relocate the axle 3/4" to the rear. I got my measurement at ride height ... could have done without but I'm wierd about these things.

I did with the weight of the jeep on the springs. It only compresses about half an inch. Doesn't move back hardly any. As the springs settle what I did here may be mute and ill have to put them back I'm sure... We'll have to see I guess.

Back