• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i fit a Trac Lock D44 into my D30 front?

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
found one on craigs list, the guy said it came out of a 99 TJ with a D44. he bought it thinking he could use it in his older D44 CJ jeep but it will not fit, has the 3.73 Ring gear.

i know jeep made a Rubicon "D44" front that was really a D30 and D44 put together. i have heard of people being able to custom fit larger Dana carriers into smaller housings or other such creations. is there anything i could do here?

right now i have a HP D30 front with WJ knuckles, high steering, chrome shafts, and a drip in Aussie. i do not like the locker in the front as it's very hard to steer in 4WD and puts a lot more stress on the front than i would like.

No, the ring gear for a Dana 30 7.125" in diameter, the Dana 44 has a ring gear size of 8.5". The case for the Trac Loc would be too large for the Dana 30 ring gear to even fit over. The Dana 44 in a Rubicon IS a real Dana 44 center section. The argument over it not being a real Dana 44 is the axle tubes, inner and outter knuckles, and braking assemblies are all from the Dana 30. So that is where the whole "the Rubicon Dana 44 isn't really a Dana 44" argument comes from. IF anyone has done any such custom work to put Dana 44 parts in a Dana 30, it would require EXTENSIVE machine work to make happen but it is not something some good ol' boy with a welder and a grinder can hack together.

found one on craigs list, the guy said it came out of a 99 TJ with a D44. he bought it thinking he could use it in his older D44 CJ jeep but it will not fit, has the 3.73 Ring gear.

i know jeep made a Rubicon "D44" front that was really a D30 and D44 put together. i have heard of people being able to custom fit larger Dana carriers into smaller housings or other such creations. is there anything i could do here?

right now i have a HP D30 front with WJ knuckles, high steering, chrome shafts, and a drip in Aussie. i do not like the locker in the front as it's very hard to steer in 4WD and puts a lot more stress on the front than i would like.

a few things you can do to it to strengthen it are full case locker and truss it and diff cover will strengthen it as well..

i am eye balling the RCV shafts.....

i just asked because i found the posi for 150 local and wasn't sure if there was a way i could use it. ehh oh well. guess ARB it is.

i am eye balling the RCV shafts.....

i just asked because i found the posi for 150 local and wasn't sure if there was a way i could use it. ehh oh well. guess ARB it is.

Not sure I would go to RCV's as it makes the HP 30's weakpoint the R&P, just put a fullcase locker and some chromos with a good warrenty in it

Back