• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 cherokee sport heating issues

gdead1968

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone im new to this forum , but i got a 99 cherokee sport 4.0l
i have alot of plans for this jeep as i use to be a wrangler guy time to try out the xjs , my problem i have is that when i bought the jeep it ran and drove fine . when i looked into the radiator it had some rusty water /crud in it soo i decided to flush the system , after flushing the system my heat only worked when i was moving not stopped at a light , i changed the thermostate and gasket ,, im wondering if its the water pump or heater core , and what should i do next any help will be great

He is saying to search: CLR heater core flush.
I need to do this also. And I haven't searched yet so I am not sure yet.

disconnect the heater hoses. Fill the heater core with radiator flush, clr, or what ever you choose. CLR can be used, but not for long. Let it sit for the recommended time then do a reverse flush with a lot of water. Sometimes a reverse flush is all it takes.

i had a similar issue with my '87. i reverse flushed the heater hore with a garden hose...LOW pressure, so as not to blow a hole in the core.
the crap that burped out was gross, looked like mud. heater was super toasty after that.

It might not be "rusty water / crud" - it could be that the PO mixed orange / green coolants. This will result in "rusty water" looking fluid and eventually it will mud up and clog up the system..

once you flush out the system make sure you use either pre-mixed antifreeze, or if you're like me and mix your own concentrate. use distilled water from the grocery store, NOT regular bottled water. the distilled water has had the minerals removed from it. tap water from your hose will introduce all kinds of crap into the system that will start leaving deposits as soon as it is heated. thus, requiring a flush at some point in the future.
i learned this from the old-timer who taught our shop class when i was a kid. i've been told since then that this is a bit of a myth.. but i still do it.

Back