• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bent up frame rails in the rear

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my jeep was rear ended at somepoint in its life and then was rear ended again by a buddy on a snow run (he replaced my light he broke lol). Well looking at it again im thinking i should fix and strengthen the frame rail a bit since it is a lot weaker now than stock.

It is bent a bit at the back of the hitch mount (towards the front of the jeep). It makes my bumper lean downward a bit as well.

Im thinking of cutting out the section that is bent, run 2x3 tubing into the frame rails as far forward as i can and then plating it off for the bumper mounts. Now by doing this i would need new shackle mounts. I really need a relocation box anyways so i can have a better shackle angle. I have seen people redo their shackle mounts a lot on here but im wondering the best route to go on this project.

Any advice on how i should do this?

I figured i would drill some holes in the existing frame rails to spot weld in the 2x3 tubing, weld it in sections along the floor board of the jeep, and then tie it into the other side of the jeep with a cross member. As for the shackle mount i figured i could do a piece of channel and drill through it where i want the shackle at.

What you propose is a lot of labor. I would spend the money, and have the frame pulled by a frame shop, and then plate the rear frame rails.

What you propose is a lot of labor. I would spend the money, and have the frame pulled by a frame shop, and then plate the rear frame rails.

+1. My heep goes in on friday to be bent back straight from a rear end accident that happened 2 weeks ago. The body shop wants $350 or so to pull it back straight, then I'm building bumpers and plating it up.

I had a similar issue. Ended up straightening up the rails as much as possible, drilled holes in the side and the bottom (along with using the pre-existing hitch holes), cut access holes in the back and slid in box steel and plug welded it to the rails. At the end i made a cross member for the bumper to mount.

ya its a lot of work but im going to be plating my entire frame rail anyways. I may take it to a shop and see what they say first though.

Back