• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stock tre thread size

slow50

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know the thread size for the stock tie rod ends? i wana build a beefed up tie rod and was looking to order some threaded tubing adapters that i can weld into some dom. also is moog any better then say autozone tre's? i know autozone had liftime warranty on theirs. thanks.

anyone know the thread size for the stock tie rod ends? i wana build a beefed up tie rod and was looking to order some threaded tubing adapters that i can weld into some dom. also is moog any better then say autozone tre's? i know autozone had liftime warranty on theirs. thanks.

11/16"-18 thread I believe, was pretty tricky to find a jam nut for that haha.

i would suggest against using the stock TREs, and upgrading to the dodge variant if your going to go through the trouble. i forget the exact application, but there are some off of a dodge truck that are physically bigger and beefier, while still using the same taper. a quick search should dig up the info. some companies offer HD tie rods that use these ends. see if finding jam nuts is easier/cheaper and if the threaded adapters are the same price, would be a better option.

as for MOOG vs AZ tie rod ends... i cant speak for the MOOGs, but lets just say that ive replace my autozone TREs and BJs every year. autozone does NOT carry MOOG, but i know that advanced auto does. ill admit though, BJs, TREs, and unit bearings come out quite easy when you replace them regularly. lol. (but i guess thats not a fair arguement, because ive been through 3 axles in the past 3 summers, and replaced everything with the AZ lifetime warranty every summer. some of the ends and BJs were needed, sometimes they werent)

Most of the aftermarket focuses around 3/4 ton or misnamed "1 ton" chevy steering parts.
The WJ and the V8 ZJ both use the same taper but much larger joints & shafts. Unfortunately, I've got the ZJ part in my notebook listed as 22mm and the WJ as 24mm. So good luck finding tube adapters or taps.
Back to chevy.
For about $8 a pop you can buy tubing adapters that you shove into the hole you've drilled & voila, now it has the Chevy parts taper. A few bucks more, you have tube adapters from your 1" ID tube to your 7/8" thread. Open your wallet again and youve got some tie rod ends. Once more, this will barely hurt, open your wallet for some DOM.

Or just buy a ZJ V8 tie rod, adjusting sleeve & tie rod end. Beefier. Drag links are the same. Bolts up.

well i allready have a bunch of dom thats why i wanted to do this. but i dont want to redo the whole steering to one ton just elimate the stock weak tie rod. basicly like the rustys one they sell but i figure save a few bucks and weld it up my self. are the dodge truck tre's 11/16 18? because ive allready found tube adapters and jam nuts for that size.

I would use the 3/4ton TRE's as they are the ones used by aftermarket companies that make bolt in replacement Tierods.
Here are the PN's used on the ironman4x4fab tie rod that I have.
es2847r and es2848L - Moog is worth it.
Sure ruffstuff or other places sell the tube adapter inserts.

Jam nuts can be had from most suspension manufacturers as well as McMaster Carr. Taps can be attained though Speedway Motors, McMaster Carr, MSC or anyone that provides tools for machining industry. Don't buy junk taps. Greenfield or the any other good industry brand. I only use crapsman to chase threads.

Back