• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 XJ 4.0L Hesitates while accelerating

efrie004

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 1998 XJ 4.0L 4x4 that sometimes will hesitate, or "miss" when I start giving it gas. At first it would only happen within the first minute of starting it up, but it's becoming more and more common now. I tested the fuel pressure many months ago and it was right at 49 PSI when I was idling. Once I shut it off it would start dropping to 30 pretty quick, and over the course of a couple minutes would finally drop to around 5 PSI. Jeep has 180,000 miles on it.

For the record, the following items have been replaced in the last couple of months.

-Crankshaft Position Sensor
-IAC
-TPS
-O2 sensors (both)
-Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor
-Alternator
-Starter

I'm doubting the cause being a sensor, however I could be wrong. I'm really leaning towards a fuel pump going out, but this is my first Jeep and I'm not really sure of the symptoms. Or for instance, if there is perhaps another switch/sensor related to the fuel system that could be causing the issue.

I'd like to get it figured out fairly quickly, I'd rather not get stranded on a trail. Like I said, it doesn't actually die, but when it starts, if you try to give it more throttle nothing really happens, then all the sudden it comes back. It's an automatic for the record.

Well it actually starts pretty quick, unless it sits all night. The new starter is working great though.

Think it would be a good idea to just replace the entire pump assembly while I'm in there?

Back