• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS system

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i got a 91 Xj with the 4.0 aw4 242 dana 30/35. It is completely stock. It has some issues that im fixing on it. Fuel leak, rear end is supposedly broken on the inside, track bar is shot, and the ABS Light keeps coming on when you stop and the peddle feels weird. Now i got this jeep for free.

Out of all the jeeps i have had over the past few years (8jeeps) this is the first one that has had ABS. I have never messed with one or seen one with it before. So what should i look at first on the ABS?
I checked the fluid it was low so i added some.--- Light still on
Checked all the electrical plugs and they all all connected--light still on
Thinking maybe bleed the brakes?
Im gonna take the tires off and check the pads as well.

534863_474137739319929_687096854_n.jpg

603881_10200195816071041_1049670098_n.jpg

72994_10200195812350948_1442300433_n.jpg

heres pics of the MC and the pump also

Looks like you have the Bendix ABS system. IIRC, these are warrantied by Chrysler still. You may want to contact your local dealer and give them your vin to see if it has be replaced yet. They also do not cover the accumulator, so I would replace that as well if they do it.
Otherwise, the best thing to do is swap in a alter model 95+XJ (or WJ) dual diaphragm booster and get rid of that POS bendix ABS system.

ya i figured id just swap it out. I have been reading up on them today and seems they were a complete pos system.

Like many other things.. when they work, they work great. But when they start to fail, it's not good. AS I already said, there is a possibility that Chryco can replace it for free. I would try that route. Can't hurt, right?

Like many other things.. when they work, they work great. But when they start to fail, it's not good. AS I already said, there is a possibility that Chryco can replace it for free. I would try that route. Can't hurt, right?

Mines just working fine in my 1990. Although, I just came back from the junkyard with a spare accumulator to have on hand if-and-when.

Back