• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deathwobble, not all the time..

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently, within the last 4 months, got a 2000 XJ, its been in the family since it was new, so I know it has been taken care of so this has to be something simple. Ive got a few things going on that Id like to get figured out and taken care of before they evolve into bigger issues. It doesnt get in the way too much when driving to work because its such a short distance but if I go into town to run errands or anything it sets in and makes it a real PITA. Whats going on is you can drive about 10-15 miles and it drives just like a new car, straight as an arrow so shimmy or wobble at all. About 20 miles into a drive, it starts getting a noticable shimmy. By 25 miles you have to steer about 2 o'clock into the left to accelerate straight, if you stay under about 30mph i.e. in town it doesnt wobble but on the way out of town or on a higher speed limit street death wobble usually sets in. Whether it does or not, you have to steer about 2o'clock into the right to keep it straight with the average stop, even more with a harder stop and even then its hard to keep it on the road. Could this be something as simple as a steering stabilizer thats dead or overheated? BTW, I might add, the powersteering high pressure hose was leaking and got ran dry a couple of times for about 5 miles before I caught onto what was going on with that. I took it too the alignment shop the first time it started wobbling, of course it drove just fine over there since its so close to home so that told me that it had to be something else but I let them check it anyway and it checked out spot on, and naturally I went to a few stores after the shop and it about went off into the other lane of traffic. I also noticed the sway bar bushings are shot.

Next, when I start it up, dont know if its just a cold weather thing or not but the "check gauge" light will come on, oil pressure will only be at maybe 2-3, it will go 2-3 to 10 for about 10 seconds then drop down to 2-3 for a minute or so then shoot back up to 10 for about 10 seconds then back down to 2-3 but then stopping at the first stop light, about 4 miles from home, it shoots up to 50 where it normally runs at and stays there the rest of the time its running until I shut it off. Is the oil pump going out?

Probably toasted your steering box when you ran it dry, but I would put the front up on jackstands & shake everything around to see if anything is worn out or loose, think Control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, STEERING BOX.
The Oil pressure issues is probably the sender, I'd bet if you Clean up the oil pressure senders electrical connections that problem will go away.
Good Luck.

Death wobble cures are well documented, do some searching. If you develop a steering wheel pull after driving a fair distance, one might suspect issues with the brakes. Clean and inspect the oil pressure sensor plug and wires and consider buying a new sensor.

Death wobble cures are well documented, do some searching. If you develop a steering wheel pull after driving a fair distance, one might suspect issues with the brakes. Clean and inspect the oil pressure sensor plug and wires and consider buying a new sensor.

Youe are right I missed this part
you have to steer about 2o'clock into the right to keep it straight with the average stop, even more with a harder stop and even then its hard to keep it on the road.
Check for warped rotors & Dragging brakes (Sticking calipers, etc...).

Back