• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking roof

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing some work on my auxillary reverse lights today, tapping into the stock reverse wiring to connect to my fitchbox. I pulled the rear pass quarter trim off to get to the tail light harness. I noticed there was some water pooling in the lower quarters. I have done the cut and fold on the lower quarters, and they have been welded/sealed back together. I pulled that corner of the carpet up and it is a little damp. We have had a lot of rain recently, but I haven't driven the jeep in it

When I finished with the wiring, I decided to investigate the leak. I pulled off the trim lining the top of the hatch opening, and there was a small amount of water pooling on the pass side, basically under the bolts holding the hatch hinges on.

I poured some water in the gutter above it, and there was no immediate obvious leaking from that spot. My question is if there is a commonly known leak in that area?

While pouring the water in the gutter, it tracks down the side of the hatch opening along the weather stripping, then down to the inner side of the tail lamp, then down below the bumper. I think some of this might be leaking into the rear quarter through a grommet for some rock lights. Haven't confirmed that yet.

Anyone know of common leak points or cracks in the rear roof? It's a 99 if that matters.

All three of my rigs had problems there. 88,89, 98. I just chalked it up to a poor design and drilled a small hole to allow them to drain. When I opened the 89 up there was at least three inches of water in that fender gap.

I've heard the roof rack is a pretty common culprit. Might try to check out those little nutserts.

Also meant for this to be OEN tech so mods move it if you like

I used a little silicone on the screw that hold the rubber gromet in (from the hatch) and it seemed to work for this.

Back