• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33/10.5/15 or 32/11.5/15

levi11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with a rubicon express 3.5" super flex kit. I'm debating on which one to go with. any opinion would be appreciated. thanks

stock axles the 30 is your limit at 4.88. go 4.88. if you are swapping out the front for a 44/60/flipped yota axle then go as deep as your can . Youll eventually be on 35,36, 37" tires. it happens to all of us.

Ive got the same lift kit. Currently running 33x10.5 km2s with 4.56 gears and previously ran 32x11.5 km2s with 3.55s. Definately more streetable with the 33s/4.56, not really too much of a difference offroad besides the new gears.

I am on 33x10.5 on stock rims. 4:56 gears. RE 3.5" plus spacers and shackles put me at about 4.5" - 5". Stock flares, uncut.

It rubs on the CA and stock front skid at full turn lock occasionally and they generally stuff into the fenders when flexed. (There are some recent pics in my calico post in the SoCal section)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1094095&page=2

I think it's a good Street/trail balance with good clearance (33") and light weight (10.5"). Mine streets and freeways pretty good, the running gear and steering are holding up well and I have yet to be limited on the trail due to tire size.

Extra width would be nice in the sand, but I doubt 1" would do much other than increase likely hood of rubbing.

I would rather have the height over the width.

I'm at 3.5 inch lift w/ 33x10.50. I'm running 4.10 gearing. That's working well for me since I do a lot of freeway driving.
Expect to do some trimming around the back wheel wells. You'll see the need when you flex.

32x11.50R15's here, It's definitely the breaking point for regearing... Long steep ascents even in 4 low 1st gear the motor is getting hot and I'm starting to clench my bhole up sometimes from the lack of power.

I'm regearing before my next set of tires, which will definitely be 33x10.50's. I don't want the width either, I bought the rig with the 32's on it. I can't max out the turning and I rub just a bit in the rear at max flex with a 4 inch.

I'm going to do a front locker for the Dana 30, leave the 35 rear open until I find a 44 candidate.. If money works out right I'll have the 44 before the regear and I'll lock both of em. We'll see..

The way I figure it the only thing wide tires are good for are powdery snow, and sand.. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the pressure per square inch on your contact patch it always better with a more narrow tire. (debatable all day I'm sure. Some people like and swear by a wider footprint.) I think if you go with a narrower rim too like a 15x6 you can squeeze a bit more diff clearance out of a 33".

I run 32x11.5's now and am picking up 33x10.5's tomorrow. My jeep is around 3" and trimmed quite a bit so 33's should fit with no issue. I'm running 4.10's.

I would advise you to go 33's and look at gearing to 4:56 or 4:88. It really kinda depends on what your rig will be used for. If it's a daily driver then 4:56 may be more livable with 33's, if it's a trail rig, definitely do 4:88.

I have had 31's and now 32's and next are 33x12.50s, I wanted to go with 10.50's orginally but I saw plenty of people with 33x12.50s do better offroad because of the wider "footprint" so that changed my mind for me. Also with 33's you should be plenty good with 4.56's(as it's slightly over geared)

I would advise you to go 33's and look at gearing to 4:56 or 4:88. It really kinda depends on what your rig will be used for. If it's a daily driver then 4:56 may be more livable with 33's, if it's a trail rig, definitely do 4:88.

4.10's and 33's work just fine for Daily duty. Yeah 4.56's would be pretty much ideal but i drove mine to work with the 33's and 4.10's for the first time today(damn brother parked behind my car) and it doesn't search for gears going up the overpass I go over on my way to work. I was actually impressed with the setup because hearing guys bitch about 4.10's and 33's all the time had me curious. My jeep has came back to life after regear.

Last edited:
4.10's and 33's work just fine for Daily duty. Yeah 4.56's would be pretty much ideal but i drove mine to work with the 33's and 4.10's for the first time today(damn brother parked behind my car) and it doesn't search for gears going up the overpass I go over on my way to work. I was actually impressed with the setup because hearing guys bitch about 4.10's and 33's all the time had me curious. My jeep has came back to life after regear.

While 4.10's might work fine for you, I had to keep in mind that my jeep would be towing a trailer at times with a mower on it so I feel the 4.56's (along with the enigne mods) are perfect for my peticular application.

While 4.10's might work fine for you, I had to keep in mind that my jeep would be towing a trailer at times with a mower on it so I feel the 4.56's (along with the enigne mods) are perfect for my peticular application.

Yes, the extra power would be great for that but if I pull anything it'll be less than 2k so I'm not real worried. If I lived near mountains it'd be a no brainer to run 4.56's but I'm surrounded by corn fields here! :D

i run 32x10.50 TSL radials with a 34 tooth drive gear and 4:11 gears 4.0/AW4, 3.5" OME lift, the jeep drives they way i would figure a factory built "offroad" cherokee would, tranny works great, motor pulls great, stock brakes still work great, if i were to go with a tall 33 i would look at 4.56 gears. or run 4:11 for the daily and swap in a 4:1 T case.

Back