• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbox interchangeability

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
I am selling my stock 2001 airbox on ebay and received a question

" whats the difference between this and the 1992 stock airbox , i have a snorkle so the intake part doesnt matter. would it fit "

I asked him and he has a 4.0

I have an 85 but its no help of course since the 4.0 wasnt available

I searched and for once couldnt find the info i needed here .

1987-1990 were the same
1991-1994 or 1995 were the same
1996-2001 were the same

I'm about 90% sure. I know the Renix (87-90s were) and 91-01 should all interchange but the older ones had a silencer baffle in them where the newer 96 or 97+ didn't. Physical size and attachment should be the same 91-01 though.

1987-1990 were the same
1991-1994 or 1995 were the same
1996-2001 were the same

I'm about 90% sure. I know the Renix (87-90s were) and 91-01 should all interchange but the older ones had a silencer baffle in them where the newer 96 or 97+ didn't. Physical size and attachment should be the same 91-01 though.

Thanks Collin Ill see ya at W.F. !

I'm pretty sure there are some minor differences in the CCV system hookups between the early 90s and late 90s but I'll be damned if I can remember what the hell they are.

I have a both a '93, and a '98, Cherokee XJ. The airboxes are almost the same.

On the '93, the airbox intake tube protrudes through a port at the radiator support.

The airbox on the '98 has a shorter intake tube and there is no port at the radiator
support.

As such, an early '90s airbox would not fit on a later '90's and onwards car as is. But
it can be easily made to fit if the intake tube were cut a bit shorter.

Can't wait to see you man! Hopefully you won't be having to pull me out of an icy swamp this year eh? :D

Hopefully we wont need it (too often) but at least we are in a place and with people that can and will assist a stuck Jeeper !
I am getting psyched for this event i can hardly wait .

Thanks for all the good info on this airbox thing guys , now the info is here (if it wasn't already somewhere) and found easily by searching.

The access to quality XJ Information and the community at the events is why i will be A full member again on payday.

Back