• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans cooler

Ckanderson

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 93 XJ, with 31's going to the sand in a few weeks.... worth it to install a trans cooler before?

not gonna be crazy, just dont wanna cause any damage...

Thanks.

I bought mine for $20 out of an early Explorer in a junk yard.

ExplorerTrannyCooler1.jpg

Here is how somebody else installed theirs: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Transmission_and_Transfer_Case/TransmissionCooler.htm

I turned it 90 degrees and installed it vertical with the original Ford mounts. Worked for me.

Have a 93 XJ, with 31's going to the sand in a few weeks.... worth it to install a trans cooler before?
Nothing heats up an automatic transmission better than running in deep sand, most definitly get a cooler.

I mounted one of these under the cross member, so it doesn't add heat to the engine's radiator.
http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=h...-cooling-system-10x7-12x4-with-7-diameter-fan
I left the original transcooler in place for cooling the power steering fluid.

Adding a 25,000 lb-rated Hayden cooler was very first thing I did to my XJ when I bought it.

Mounted it in front of the mechanical fan for the constant air flow.
cooler01.JPG

IIRC, I cut out the middle between two existing holes then split a length of hose to line the sharp edges.
cooler02.JPG

If you don't mind spending 125-ish, I'd get a tru cool LPD49211. It's a 6x23x3/4 and fits in the front of the condenser like a glove. Its getting cooled by the mechanical fan and also by the elecric one when its started. It's rated 30k gvw. You can also take the electric fan control and move it to a button and install an oil temp gauge so when you see high trans temps, you can start cooling it manually. If you live in a cold environment, you can also get a thermal bypass valve (I live in Cleveland oh so I need it).bypass valve is another 35-ish bucks. I got both radiator and valve brand new from eBay, but I'm sure you can find better prices if you have time to search. Personally, I am for removing/delete the factory in-radiator transmission cooler since IMO it does more bad than good in warm/hot climates. With the bypass valve, you don't need to warm up the oil, few miles on 10-20 F and its over 100. My 2 cents...

Back