• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would cause this

The back valve cover breather is clogged, so intake manifold isn't sucking from it, thus excess pressure is blown into the front one.

If the CCCV (jeep's flavor of the PCV) tube is not plugged, and it's blowing gunk out the front tube then the engine has extra blow-by.
A compression test and cylinder leak-down test is in order to find the cause.

99xj front valve cover breather isn't sucking in air and is spitting out moisture, what would cause this, thanks

Where is it "spitting moisture" from? What do you mean by "moisture"?

How is your idle RPM? High? Low?

The CCV fitting orifice (rear of VC) is a metered orifice, approximately .106" in diameter. If this orifiice size is reduced (clogged) you will have lower RPM than normal. Proof is to disconnect the CCV tube at the intake manifold, start the engine, note that the RPM is high, gradually slide your thumb over the intake manifold CCV vacuum fitting at note how the RPM decreases up to the point where you completely cover the vacuum fitting and the engine will die.

Did you observe the oil fill hole in the VC with the engine running? Are there vapors blowing out? Is this where the "moisture" is "spitting" out?

What's it look like inside of the VC (as viewed through the oil fill hole)? Does it look like you have sludge build-up?

Engine rpms are normal when I disconnect rear tube at intake rpms jump, by moisture I mean it's a light creamy liquid that's dripping out of the front tubed where it hooks up to intake box

Engine rpms are normal when I disconnect rear tube at intake rpms jump, by moisture I mean it's a light creamy liquid that's dripping out of the front tubed where it hooks up to intake box

Pull your valve cover and see what's going on under there. A light creamy liquid sounds like anti-freeze mixed with oil.

I know you don't like answering all the questions put to you on this thread but... Do you have a creamy colored oil on your dipstick? Does it look like there's oil in the anti-freeze overflow reservoir?

Pull your valve cover and see what's going on under there. A light creamy liquid sounds like anti-freeze mixed with oil.

I know you don't like answering all the questions put to you on this thread but... Do you have a creamy colored oil on your dipstick? Does it look like there's oil in the anti-freeze overflow reservoir?

Condensation is also a normal by-product of engine combustion, and the heat-cooling cycle.

continuous short trips with out a good warm up will cause condensation to form in the valve cover and breather tube in the form a of a milky ooze. more so in the winter months and, If the cccv is not working properly, it will add to the problem.

Do you do "cold start, short runs"?

If so, your oil will not heat up enough to evaporate the condensation in your crankcase--which is normal--and you will find "latte" under the oil filler cap, sometimes at the upper section of the dipstick.

When you cleaned the back tube did you clean the fitting on the manifold? Just takes a second to poke a stiff wire or small rod into it to dislodge any carbon build up. You will feel it if it is clogged.

Back