• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ flare comparison

I'm in the market for some fender flares since I'm tired of being sky high to keep the 33s out of the fenders. Call me a pretty boy, but looks matter to me- I wheel my Jeep as much as possible, but unlike many Jeepers I find it's best to steer away from the trees and rock faces rather than slam into them. My previous XJ had its share of bruises, but I want to keep this one straight and looking good for as long as possible.

I've looked into a few options and just wanted to get some more opinions and get some feedback on the ones I'm considering-

Notch Customs (formerly made by Iceland Offroad)
Napier Precision
Rusty's flares All 4 or maybe just on the front only (rear clearance isn't that big of an issue on my XJ) Also, opinions on their rigid vs. flexible flares

I've mostly ruled out Bushwackers based on prices and bad reviews.

Aso, on the issue of rear cutting- the gash n' fold method just seems wrong... can anyone give insight into a cleaner solution? I've had (most of) this XJ for about 12 years now, and have no intentions of ever selling it, so whatever I do to it has to be done for the long haul!

Thanks in advance!

Can you weld? Check out the way StumpXJ did his rear fenders... super clean. I agree that cut-n-fold is kinda hacky seeming, I did it on my 96XJ but mostly because it was already a junk unibody and I just wanted to have some fun in the woods for a while before scrapping it. I consider myself lucky, I can stuff 33s on my MJ with basically no visible sheetmetal trimming and only a little flare trimming, no bumpstopping beyond what it came with from the factory. MJs have way bigger rear fender wells than XJs.

So far I've just used relocated stock flares on the front, it's pretty hack looking but keeps the police off my case. No idea what I'll do when I decide I want to make it pretty again, if ever. Front fenders are cheap and easy to get in good shape at the yard, so I don't really mind hacking those up.

I run the Napier flares, wouldn't change a thing.

IMAG0930_zps186062ef.jpg

IMAG0877.jpg

TJ flares are also an option.

I'm not fond of the pocket flare look, preferring something that provides a cleaner line, while offering tire coverage. The BW Flatties have worked well for me. I like them painted to match, I've had several non-XJers comment about how they like my factory flare option better........:shhh: For reference, I'm running 6" of lift and 285/75/16 tires.

IMG_7023-1.jpg

IMG_8776_zpse0f44ddb.jpg

IMG_8522_zpsd636ba18.jpg

I too don't view my rig as disposable and was concerned about introducing a potential for rust by notching the wheelwells, per BW instructions. For this reason, I added an extra couple of steps, taking the time to weld the notches back together and then primed/painted the area to minimize rust.
http://www.bushwacker.com/Instructions/10922_r0.pdf

The rear flares have held up to a rock-kiss or two, but if true durability and protection is your priority, fabbing a set of tube flares that are similar to the BW flatties and incorporating them into reinforced quarter/fender armor (JCR?) will give you the best of both worlds.

Yes, they have backing plates to sandwich the sheet metal. I had to add a lock washer to keep the bolts from bottoming out. Overall I like how it turnrd out.

Jeeptubes.com sells Thor fender skins and tube flares. You can even get them complete. Here's a pic from the site of the front flare. This is what I plan to do.
u4yqu5y2.jpg

Search for hooligan offroad. Avanteone installed a set for a customer and wasn't impressed with fit and finish. The rear of the front flare didn't line up with the fender/door gap, the countersunk bolts bottomed out so you can't tighten them unless you space it out like the guy above. The bends look more like they were done with a torch and vice than with a brake. Look at the thread.

I do love the bracing they use on the front fender and the flat stock for bracing the bolts on the rear fenders

I saw Avanteone's thread. I did not get the fronts. I only got the rear set. Mine fit pretty good. I didn't do anything but paint them and bolt them on.

I've got stock front flares flipped backwards in the rear and cut..

That is exactly what I want to do on my 2 door. Finally saw it. Thanks.
Did you have to cut much or is it just re-drill the holes?

I have rustys flex flairs. alittle pricy, but they work very well. beat them super hard before 2 of them came off.

like this hard
IMAG0761_zps02cc6bf5.jpg

but they looked good before hand.

100_0403.jpg

If I had a jeep I wanted to keep nice looking Id buy them again. If I was going to trash it like the one I have I wouldn't.

I saw Avanteone's thread. I did not get the fronts. I only got the rear set. Mine fit pretty good. I didn't do anything but paint them and bolt them on.

I have both front and rear hooligans. No problems what so ever on installation. The fronts fit just fine and with the backing plates are very strong and no issues with the bolts bottoming out. I wheel my Jeep so if the flare does not match a body line perfectrly I really dont care, its going to get beat on anyway. With that said mine matched up pretty darn good I think.
Here is a pic:

IMG_0358_zps8700cc81.jpg

Back