• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 cherokee odd ignition problems

jasongreg29

NAXJA Forum User
I have been pulling my hair out tring to figure this out. 1998 cherokee sport ,4.0. Most of the time it runs good but i keep getting missifre codes every so often no big deal. Here recently it has left me stranded 4 times. will be fine go somewhere kill it try to crank right back and it will turn over but will not crankup. New 130a alt, coil, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. fuel pressure is fine. tps is good. map is new. cps is a year old. o2 sensors are good. cat is new. all injectors are firing.

any help would be appreciated. I thank yall in advance,
Todd

The motor don't even have to warm up. The last time it did it it was cold out. I drove mabee a quarter mile. Put gas in it and wouldn't crank. It was about 6 hours before it would start again.

Fuel + air + compression + spark all at the correct time in the correct proportions = engine runs.

You can have fuel but not enough pressure, or pressure but not enough volume. You can have spark that lacks "vitality"--it should be snappy and blue.

If your battery is poor you may have INSUFFICIENT voltage to power the PCM, but adequate amperage to turn the starter.

Find the missing factor.

check your coil wire and plug wires, I spent 200+ on parts because of a $5 coil wire. Just saying.

Back