• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cranks but won't start after running errands (multiple stops/starts)

phil04

NAXJA Forum User
1997 Cherokee (XJ, 4.0L, 4x4) 180K miles. I cannot figure this one out. Jeep always starts and runs great, except after I do a lot of stopping and starting due to running errands. After about the 4th or 5th place it will crank but doesn't want to actually start. I have to try/wait for about 10 minutes for it to stumble its way to starting, after which it runs fine, but I better not turn it off again or it will continue doing that until I let it rest for several hours. Any ideas? This one is driving me nuts! Thanks!

Sounds like heat soak on a fuel injector. I think there was TSB on it. Search old threads here heat soak

I think it went back as far as 97. The heat soak is right after shut down, boils the fuel in the fuel injector, and causes hard restarting until it has had a good cool down.

The "hot soak" or "heat soak" issue is for the 2000-2001 XJ; TSB 18-031-03, GROUP: Vehicle Performance, DATE: Sep. 05, 2003.

Sounds to me more like the beginnings of a thermal failure of the crankshaft position sensor.

Start with the basics. Test the fuel pressure. Consider that the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) may be failing. Load test the battery. Inspect the battery wires. Clean and tighten the ground connections. The Cherokee does not tolerate low voltage or poor grounds.

Figured since it ran fine once started wasn't fuel or electrical. Went ahead and replaced crank sensor. Ran around today with zero issues. Thanks for the input.

Back