• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L engine selection

redline61

NAXJA Forum User
First off sorry for not searching more but I am working a double and am going to look at an engine tomorrow and need some advise.
I have a 99 Cherokee with a broken piston skirt and need to replace the motor. I need to know engine interchangeability between the years.

Does a 96-98 engine work in a 99? I still have a distributor and wouldn't mind an older engine for the larger head ports. I live in Idaho so emissions isn't a problem and it still has the cats so its not that I don't care.

Also anyone know if the 00+ will work in a 99. I know they are coil on plug so I'm not sure if they made a cps that would fit in the distributor hole or if they modified the block.

Thanks so much for the advise. :yelclap:

96 to 98 will work fine.

Hope this helps:

XJ
Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1991 to 1995 YJ and 1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.
XJ: "Regular" (not Grand) Cherokees 84-01
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 93-98 (Gen1)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 99-04 (Gen2)
YJ: Wrangler 87-95 (Gen1)
TJ: Wrangler 97-06 (Gen2)

Last edited:
Thanks, that is what I needed to know. Looking for 96-99 Cherokee or 96-98 ZJ.

Also, anyone know if all the years have problems with piston skirts or was it the newer engines?

Junkyard. Or, find a Cherokee on craigslist that runs but has other issues like a blown trans etc, and buy the whole thing. YOu can hear it run lots of times.

I ended up getting one off craigs from a rolled Cherokee. 119k and all the accessories, including the intake manifold I will have to sell. Wish I had found a 96-98 engine but there isn't a ton of good 4.0L out there without a million miles.

Back