• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift prep and hardware rc 3"

96xj-A-skwad

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

Gona throw on my rough country 3" lift hopefully in a week.

As far as hardware goes, im pretty sure RC doesnt supply any with the kit.

Im trying to get it all done in one shot because its my dd and need it to commute.

I know about brake lines and T/C drop.

But what hardware should I replace?

what size u-bolts should i buy and where?

Im trying to have everything all set to go by the time I doit.

Also im gonna prep by spraying some penetrant on everything.

dont wanna miss anything so,
-U-bolts
-shock mounts (upper and lower)
-steering stab.
-lower control arms

-----Anything else???

thanks all.

When i did my 3'' lift i reused all factory hardware except U bolts, i was told to never reuse old U bolts. If you have a local offroad shop near by they should hook you up, but why dosent your lift include them? For shocks your new ones should include new hardware, but if they dont then you need to reuse your old stuff i guess. but on the rear shocks the upper bolts (there are 4) these will most likely break off (search google there are multipe fixs out there) i used a big puch and hammer to nock out the old welded nuts then fished new bolts down from the top side and with the new shocks on, i ran the nuts on with a impact worked for me. you can reuse the original lower control arms and harware i did and it works great for me

Thanks!

Already replaced rear upper bolts. Po did a hack job before i purchased. Banged out 3 broken bolts and fished new stainles bolts in. What size u- bolts do i need?

Are the lower front shock bolts typically an issue?

lower front shock bolts are not an issue, if they do break then they can be replaced with hardware store bolts but typicly with automotive you want to to run grade 5 or grade 8 hardware. i dont think you will have a problem though. On the top's of the shocks the one nut on top will just turn and turn and turn you need vice grips to hold the shock shaft as you back the nut off. The u bolt size depends on your axel type for

DANA 35/ axel the U bolt dimmension are
2.62'' x 9''

Chrysler 8.75 axel U bolt dimensions are
3'' x 9''

DANA 44 axel Ubolt dimensions are
2.75" x 9
Im pretty shure but not 100% the best advice i can give you is google, so many people out there have dealt with these issues on other forums. you will want to double check by measuring your axel

Full leaf or AAL?
Prepare for a fight with the front leaf mounting bolt.
If you don't snap the nut off the back, turn it 1/2" out, spray it with your lube of choice, and put it back in. Repeat that 5 times, and it will come out. That's the only way I've found to get fluid in between the bolt, and the bushing sleeve it likes to hang up in.

fished new stainles bolts in. What size u- bolts do i need?

Are the lower front shock bolts typically an issue?
ditch the stainless for proper grade 8 bolts, stainless is to soft, frt lower shock bolts can be replaced with 5/16 bolts

I thought i was makin a smart move on the stsinless seein as the rust gods have a special place in their hearts for me.

Mixed up some atf and mineral spirits. Spraying everything once a day. Got a can o kroil too.

I thought I was making a smart move on the stainless seeing as the rust gods have a special place in their hearts for me.
Mixed up some ATF and mineral spirits. Spraying everything once a day. Got a can of Kroil too.

Instead of stainless, use Grade 8 or 10.9 bolts and coat the shafts and threads with anti-seize. It will make future work a lot easier.
And keep spraying everything twice a day or more. AFT and acetone is my favorite mix.

Back