• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubbing noise. Rear end. Passanger side

96xj-A-skwad

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all
96 xj country 4.0 4wd
When i decelerate at slow speeds, foot off gas, i get a rubbing noise from what seems like the rigt rear wheel.
Wheel bearings?
Parking brake?
Pinion bearing?
Brake shoes?

Idk what to make of it.

Thanks

Check the emergency brake line on that side.

If it comes loose, it will rub the wheel/tire. it is supposed to be held out of the way by a spring, and if it breaks or comes loose, the line can hang and rub.

I've had it happen on both my 88 and my 96.

I fixed mine with an old carb return spring.

I just cleaned out both of my rear brake drums in my 96. Mine were making that rubbing noise and squeaking when I stopped. There was half a handful of trash (sand, dust and rust) in both. I make up a bucket of suds and use a small scrub brush and a bottle brush for the tight spots. I rinse mine with a bucket of hot water. If you have air and a solvent sprayer you can use soap and hot water. Been doing it that way for forty years no issues yet. If you are in salt country, periodically washing the salt out of the drums really helps the springs etc. to last a lot longer.

Check and see if your brake shoes are brake fluid soaked from a seeping wheel cylinder.

I always pry the dust covers on the wheel brake cylinders open with a very small screw driver, just crack them a little and in front, it makes getting them back on a lot easier. See if they are seeping brake fluid.

Check and see if the star wheels are frozen while you are in there.

Back