• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter O-Ring Size(s)...?

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all; I'm looking for a set of O-rings for
the filter adapter on my 96 4.0.

RockAuto shows two different sizes; one is
about .8" and the other is about .9" in diameter.

Are both of these sizes required, or is the same
size used for both O-rings?

Thanks,
ROE

**** the dealer kit, only 2 fit, and you waste a day tracking them down/dealing with salesmen.

Goto morris4x4 center's website, they sell a crown kit that has all 3.... AND ALL 3 FIT! Only downside is the shipping is more than the o-rings, but real men have multiple xj's, so just buy 3 or 4 kits.

Thanks for the replies. After doing some research,
the Crown kit is #4720363 which is the very same
part number as the dealer kit. I suspect they're
the exact same O-rings.

Felpro sells the large O-ring (FP70301), but I
couldn't see any listing for the smaller ones.

xcm;245847350......but real men have multiple xj's said:
LOL, I have had multiple XJs, just not at the same time...

Did this today and used the dealer kit. Fit just fine. I think it was like $4.75 with tax. Might be a little different with tax wherever you live. Dealer had two in stock. I bought both. Have one on the shelf as a spare.

Hi y'all - I just got my first Jeep (2000 Cherokee Sport XJ w 4.0l, automatic) yesterday and will be changing the oil & filter this week. I'm a little confused about the 'oil filter adapter o-rings' talk. I've never had a car that required any kind of adapter for an oil filter.

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on the topic for that question, I see you have your resolution and I'd feel bad creating a topic for something so (probably) obvious to a non-newbie.

Hi y'all - I just got my first Jeep (2000 Cherokee Sport XJ w 4.0l, automatic) yesterday and will be changing the oil & filter this week. I'm a little confused about the 'oil filter adapter o-rings' talk. I've never had a car that required any kind of adapter for an oil filter.

I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on the topic for that question, I see you have your resolution and I'd feel bad creating a topic for something so (probably) obvious to a non-newbie.

You only replace the seals if they are leaking, not with each oil change. Use a quality oil filter like Wix or Napa. Stay away from Fram, sTP etc.

The oil filter adapter It is the part mounted to the engine that the oil filter screws onto, most were put on too tight @ the factory eventually causing the seal to leak oil.
Here is a photo of the adapter off the Jeep
zj_seal_3.jpg

Back