• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main seal replacement (again)

iluv83vettes

NAXJA Forum User
I redid my leaky RMS when I first bought my Jeep, but apparently I did something wrong because it is still leaking. I am planning on redoing it again this weekend and I want to make sure I have everything I need. I have a new RMS and oil and filter (I am also going to redo the oil filter adapter o rings while I am at it). Anyway, my main question is can I reuse the blue rubber felpro gasket, or should I get a new one?

This is the gasket on it I think ...

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/FEL0/OS34308R/02296.oap?year=1999&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&vi=1431776&ck=Search_oil+pan+gasket_02296_1431776_1139&keyword=oil+pan+gasket&pt=02296&ppt=C0026

I seem to recall the one I bough being about $40 and the one on it is definitely blue now. Now That I look at it more, I will probably just get a new one since its only $20.

i would check the valve cover gasket if you havent already, they tend to leak towards the rear and it could be dripping down to the rear main area thus making you replace it again when you dont have to

Top of the motor is dry. I replaced that as well already.

I had to redo mine too. Heres how I fixed the leak. It was actually the pan gasket being lame and NOT the RMS. The gasket flipped inward at the RMS and was cut by the pan install.

Completely clean the block gasket surface. Run a bead of RTV BLACK along the block surface. Pay attention to the ends of the RMS area. The gaskets don't seal there and depend on the RTV.

Quickly install the gasket on the block and use several pan bolts to hold it snug to the block. Taking care around the RMS area. Make sure that the gasket is seated properly. A helper is nice here to hold the gasket into the motor as you install a few bolts.

Wait 1 hour or so.

Remove bolts and install oil pan.

Done that trick 2 times now. Some people use dental floss thru the holes to hold the gasket on too.

Yes, the rubber one piece gasket is re-usable and is a much better choice than the silly cork 4-piece gasket that you get for 7 bucks or so.

Back