• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 quick disco torque

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
Any body know the recommended torque on these? I'm installing new ones.
It's a 97 4.0 btw if it matters.

They've got an O-ring around the neck of the threads to seal... dunno what the spec is, but I set mine to "gudentight" with a 3/8" ratchet and one hand and they never leaked or stripped out.

@!$%!@%#& broke it.
Looks like I'm pulling the trans.

You're kidding. How much torque did you put on it? Are you a gorilla? One hand gudentight on a 3/8" ratchet, not two plus a cheater pipe...

One hand, laying on my back with a 22mm wrench.
Not a gorilla, I weigh 145lbs.
An Aw4 from a 93 should bolt right in right?

Believe so. You'll need to splice the wiring harness connector for the solenoids and speed sensor (and swap the NSS off the 97 onto the 93) but the sensors and spline count etc are all the same.

Did you try an ez-out yet? Unless the threads were binding as you threaded it in, it should back the stub of the threaded section out pretty easily, seeing as it probably sheared off at the shoulder right before the threads start. I still can't believe you managed to break one of those, I had to put everything I had into a cheater pipe to unscrew one of mine and tightened them down using exactly the method I gave on two different jeeps and I haven't broken one yet. And according to a certain poster on here, I have freakishly strong blue collar hands, so it's not like I wasn't putting much torque on them.

The threaded boss from the trans is in peices in my hand. Guess ill add a tranny swap to my list before KOH.

I got both transmissions side by side. The wiring is different(obviously), but the housings that all the harnesses go to are the same(look the same anyways). Can I just unbolt each harness off my trans and swap it to the new trans??
Sorry, I'm not savvy in transmissions

You MIGHT be able to. The harness goes in through that bushing on the rear driver corner of the housing and I think it'll just plug into the solenoids the same inside, but when I was looking at the conversion I didn't feel like pulling the pan off and there was corrosion everywhere. Being outside the rust belt you'll probably have a better chance of things coming apart nicely. Worst case, RTV the pan back on like it was from the factory and splice the harness instead I guess.

Oh, and double check that the throttle valve cable is the same length on both units, has the same clip at the throttle body end, and that the donor trans doesn't have a damaged clip while you're at it! That cable sucks to replace after installing the transmission when you realize the plastic clip is broken, let me tell you... :mad: if it's busted it is easy to swap from one transmission to another with the pans off.

Was there any corrosion on the edges of the aluminum where it fractured or was it a clean break? I still can't believe you managed to overtorque one of those that easily without crossthreading them at all.

I'm using the throttle cable from the 97. That'll swap over. I'm gonna try to swap the harness over too. I hopei can. i need to get the done so i can drive out to koh.

No corrosion on the housing. The only thing I can think of is sa casting defect. I really didn't try hard at all when it popped.

Ok so, I'm looking at both valve bodies. The solenoids are clearly different. Does anyone know if I can swap the solenoids between the two tranny's?
Trying to avoid splicing wires at all costs..

Years are 93 and 97 for the AW4's

If its an O-ring type seal then it really doesn't need much torque. Just a bit more than snug is all you need or you'll destroy/deform the O-Ring and it will leak.

Back