• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ swap clearance issue

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so i have been gathering parts to do the WJ swap and have started assembling the axle. i already have a JKS OTA trackbar bracket and have been running 1.5" DOM steering with heims. that setup with XJ knuckles rubbed the JKS bracket a tiny bit, nothing the grinder didnt fix

but now the WJ draglink mount is noticeably closer to the axle than on the XJ knuckle. this poses a problem with the JKS bracket.

25FBC56C-5E41-4E7E-B4FF-B3A5E8E581A1-4643-00000447C26FDCED.jpg

07D43778-277D-45B8-8F92-16E27D07C983-4643-00000447CA81C5CC.jpg

i think i have three options.

1. new trackbar mount completely

2. offset TRE's and grinding of bracket

3. adding a bend to the draglink and retaining my heims

i think #3 seems the easiest and cheapest. has anyone else had this issue? or has everyone thats done the WJ swap done the OTA bracket at the same time so as to not even have this issue. thoughts? opinions?

move coil buckets back.
move panhard out to the inner C (a la team naxja Race rig)

I'm looking at doing WJ brakes too, and want to keep my Dom/Heim steering. Do you have any issues with the DOM tie-rod interfering with the dif cover?

running the stock diff cover and 1.5" x .25" DOM it BARELY touches at full lock. not enough for me to do anything about it. i have no idea how the WJ knuckles effect that though

running the stock diff cover and 1.5" x .25" DOM it BARELY touches at full lock. not enough for me to do anything about it. i have no idea how the WJ knuckles effect that though

I had thought the WJ knuckles bring the tie-rod in closer to the axle vs. the XJ knuckles.

Offset TRE's for sure. Plus, the pitman arm is further towards the front of the jeep, so the drag link won't be parallel with the axle. Check out some of the recent writeups on this site. If you use offset TRE's on the tie rod and the drag link at the knuckle, then run both over the knuckle, you'll be golden and have crazy clearance. Only issue is the wheel backspacing. If that's an issue, just run everything UTK or get new wheels/spacers.

What I've done...... http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=9

I've since upgraded to a Ruffstuff diff cover and still have no tie rod clearance issues at full lock.

15" wheels are the challenge here, as WJ wheel options are 16" and 17".

FYI:

All WJ 16x7.0" Wheels: Backspacing = 6.0" Offset = 50.8mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

All WJ 17x7.5" Wheels: Backspacing = 6.25" Offset = 50.8mm Bolt pattern = 5x5 (5x127mm)

With OP's backspacing, may be alright with the offset TRE's

Back