• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing,harmonic balancer ?s

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
In the remix era 4.0 what would cause timing chain noise other than normal wear and stretch?
Cam has spring and button so cam walk isn't the problem....

I've been living with definite chain noise for thousands of miles now and noticed my harmonic balancer has got the wobbles and will be replacing that this weekend but before I do I want to know if there are any chance that this bad balancer could've cause this low mile chain to stretch and become noisey

This chain only has about 10k miles on it and the reason why it was installed was because of the noise that I thought was due to a stretched chain so I put a new cloyes set in only to have the noise come back a few hundred miles later so Im thinking that the wobbly balancer is causing my chains to become noisey????

This is a dorman brand balancer also and from all the research I've done they suck and don't last....well that's true!!!
I have a brand new factory jeep balancer going in this weekend and a new timing set also but want some ideas on what to look for when I get the timing cover off that would be causing my chain noise.Oiling problems?cam walk?

Last edited:
Good possibility the noise is the outer ring of the balancer hitting the timing cover and your timing chain is fine.

Very likely.

Examine the timing cover for marks.

Ill find out this weekend,might go ahead and put a new "silent type" timing set in there since ill have the cover off anyway I have to delete the oil slinger because the new oem balancer came with instructions to do so.
I'm a little hesitant to get rid of it though....it's in there for a reason.Some say to keep the seal from leaking,some say to sling oil onto the chain.Which is it???
If it is to keep the seal from leaking wouldnt the instructions advise the use of an updated seal???

IIRC, the slinger mounts behind the balancer, inside the cover, and is larger than the seal and hole in the cover.

and I think the newer balancers had a smidge longer center than the older ones (hence, the need to remove the slinger)

IIRC, the slinger mounts behind the balancer, inside the cover, and is larger than the seal and hole in the cover.

and I think the newer balancers had a smidge longer center than the older ones (hence, the need to remove the slinger)

Correct on the order of parts installation. I just put my stroker together and it's still famililar to me even though I've slept since then.

I'd get an aftermarket balancer... which is what I did.

Been there and done that with the aftermarket balancers IMO they're all Chinese crap as with just about all aftermarket parts nowadays.ITs sad but true.
About ten years ago parts quality was much better.....I'm amazed at the crap they're selling today!!!!!party1:
If you really think about it the balancer is a pretty important part that isnt just a pulley for the belt to ride on.
Best case scenario it'll wobble a bit and maybe vibe.Worst case it'll destroy your main bearings and ruin your chain long term due to engine harmonics!!!!

Last edited:
Back