• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar Performance Renix ECU

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
Found one and purchased it. If you've owned an '87-'90 for a while, then you know what it is. If you have any information, even the slightest bit, please post it here. It did not come with paperwork. I didn't need it, but I wanted it since they're so hard to come by.

IMAG0009_zps62e2c925.jpg

IMAG0007_zpsdc40da4a.jpg

Very interesting. What do you plan to do with it?

I would love to see a side by side comparison of the components inside - if each one has the same part numbers (as I would expect) except the firmware ROM, there is a chance that the ROM could be copied to new chips and installed in factory non-performance RENIX computers, turning them into performance ECUs.

I would love to see a side by side comparison of the components inside - if each one has the same part numbers (as I would expect) except the firmware ROM, there is a chance that the ROM could be copied to new chips and installed in factory non-performance RENIX computers, turning them into performance ECUs.
I've been trying to get one from a guy on here for years to copy the roms and see if they can be cloned over to another computer, but he hasn't come through.

I've been trying to get one from a guy on here for years to copy the roms and see if they can be cloned over to another computer, but he hasn't come through. I'm an electronics/software engineer. I run a 4.7L stroker with a map adjuster. I really want to see if it makes much difference.

Even for a RENIX computer? I don't think they support in-circuit programming but I could be wrong.

Actually, lemme go grab the 2.5L TBI RENIX ECU I have sitting in the parts collection and see if I can find any part numbers on the ROMs.

edit: this thing is way simpler than I recalled, it's got mostly custom part numbers on it though.

CPU is quite obviously the 40 pin DIP, it's a Motorola part, part number ZC93102CPW or S100723016A. No visible ROM so I think it's probably an MCU with onboard ROM, seeing as this is 80s hardware and it's a PDIP package it's probably either OTP or mask ROM, very little chance of it having onboard flash and being reprogrammable externally.

This is from a 1990 2.5L TBI w/ ECU part number S100801104A / EF 8953004763.

Last edited:
The ones I have seen, the eeproms need to be unsoldered, then inserted into a eprom reader and the image read and stored. I have looked into several Renix ECU's. Not all the boards are the same. The 2.5L ecu is totally different from the 4.0L ecu.

Once I figure out which processor it is, I can write a decompiler to get at least a rough look at what the code is inside. It is not a simple or trivial task to reverse engineer the code.

Good to know, I had my hopes up that the 2.5s were just like the 4.0s just with fewer injector drivers. Oh well!

What size is the ROM? I did a pretty complete reverse engineering of the 8kB ROM BIOS from an IBM PC in a week worth of evenings for fun in high school... I know the OBD2 JTECs are 256kB, which is quite a bit to reverse engineer, and I'm helping a friend reverse engineer an Audi ECU with a 256k word (16bit, so 512kB) ROM right now. He's not having an easy time of it.

Any updates on this? im really curious if something like this would make a noticeable difference.

Not really. As stated, mostly more agressive ignition advance, requiring premium fuel.

The ones I got from Mopar for my Dodge 5.2s and 5.9s were the same way. Kinda like advancing the timing. It still meets emissions, so the fuel is not real agressive.

An advanced CPS (high altitude) probably does about the same for alot less money.

What have you done so far?

Bosch design 3 injectors
mild comp cam
pacesetter header
flowmaster exhaust

don't really wanna run premium fuel so i guess i wont be considering the performance ECU or the high altitude CPS

just out of curiousity, did you have any issues installing the pacesetters? Did you have any intake or exhaust leaks at the manifold?

I slapped the pacestters on my rig the other day, few really hard to reach(compared to stock manifold install which is a breeze ) bolts and having to cut and re weld the EGR tube on the spot was a pain but its all on now. just need to finish messing with the down pipe. welded in a flex joint as per some issues others were having with theirs. wrapped headers and DEI gold heat tape on the intake manifold. Bored TB to 60mm, cowl style homebrew snorkel, and moved the CPS to further passenger.

just out of curiousity, did you have any issues installing the pacesetters? Did you have any intake or exhaust leaks at the manifold?

i did actually. 2 of them in 2 areas.

area #1: the flange that bolts to the head. i originally had the engine on a stand when i torqued all the bolts down, so access was much easier. i went by the FSM torque sequence and torque spec, and used a new fel pro gasket. the first time i fired up the engine there was an exhaust leak towards cylinder #6. after that i just torqued down all the bolts some more and so far no more leaks.

area #2: the exhaust clamps that hold the two collectors. i didnt weld them together because i thought the clamps would hold. now i have a leak coming through the side of the collector closest to the oil pan. can't get a welder in there its so tight. i havent fixed the leak yet since it requires pulling the header out. if you have the chance i would weld shut that part to prevent leakage.

other than that, the cam + headers makes for a nice sound at idle :greensmok

oh and the extra torque is nice

Back