• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions welcome

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need advice on bumpsteer and sway bar mounts (post WJ knuckle swap).

I have searched on bumpsteer and can't see anything I have not covered. My angles are good, tires are balanced/new as well as new rims, all mounts are tight, new TREs, new ball joints, new unit bearings, new heims (on trackbar), etc. I have a newer durango steering box with reinforcement plate (c-rok), steering brace (MORE) and rubicon trackbar mount brace. Also have a new steering stabilizer also. Lift is 6.5" and castor is at 7 degrees

The steering is tight but wants to wander/follow the contours of the road and with every pothole, dip or bump in the road, the steering wheel responds.

Any suggestions on how to eliminate this is appreciated!

As far as sway bar mounts, I can't figure out how to position a sway bar mount on the passenger side as it interferes with the draglink at the coilbucket position after doing the WJ swap. I have both the JKS and JCR offroad relocation sway bar mount brackets and still cannot figure out how to get them to work. No problem with the driver side, its just the passenger side that doesnt work no matter what. Any suggestions or pictures of what you have done is appreciated! I have attached pics...

XJsteeringfrontangle.jpg

XJsteeringpassengerside.jpg

XJsteeringpassengersidebirdseye.jpg

The length difference between your drag link and your trackbar is the most likely cause of your bumpsteer. A little extra caster can help combat bumpsteer. Can't help with the swaybar, I don't run one.

As far as wondering on every bump or anything. Check your toe on your alignment. Mine was toed out for a bit befor I found it. It caused all kind of wondering issues.

ARRGGGHHHH........

won·der

[wuhn-der] Show IPA
verb (used without object) 1. to think or speculate curiously: to wonder about the origin of the solar system.
2. to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe; marvel (often followed by at ): He wondered at her composure in such a crisis.
3. to doubt: I wonder if she'll really get here.

verb (used with object) 4. to speculate curiously or be curious about; be curious to know: to wonder what happened.
5. to feel wonder at: I wonder that you went.

wan·der

[won-der] Show IPA
verb (used without object) 1. to ramble without a definite purpose or objective; roam, rove, or stray: to wander over the earth.
2. to go aimlessly, indirectly, or casually; meander: The river wanders among the rocks.
3. to extend in an irregular course or direction: Foothills wandered off to the south.
4. to move, pass, or turn idly, as the hand or the eyes.
5. (of the mind, thoughts, desires, etc.) to take one direction or another without conscious intent or control: His attention wandered as the speaker droned on.

Sorry...pet peeve.

Have you looked at a different swaybar bracket yet?
As stated previously...trackbar and draglink lengths should be the same, or at least very close.

thanks guys. so as far as the draglink and trackbar being roughly the same length...does it matter the location of where they mount moreso than the actual lengths being the same? I have seen a frame side mounting bracket that actually angles back out toward the tire a bit, making the track bar longer technically but doesn't necessarily solve the problem of having the mouting points close to each other if thats a requirement.

I agree. your panhard is much shorter than your Drag link. running sway bar won't fix that

however, running a sway bar will stabilize the rig a bit.

running these can help

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Ra...and-Gussets-Swaybar-Link-Brackets-Gussets.htm

I'm sorry for the confussion, I was asking about the bumpsteer/wandering issue in addition or seperately from the sway bar issue. I know they are unrelated. Thanks for the link on the gussets, I am going to try them out!

Ditch the steering stabilizer.

Move the axle end of the panhard to the highest hole, and get a 1-2'' drop pitman arm.
The angles will decrease and be much better on the road.

Ditch the steering stabilizer.

Move the axle end of the panhard to the highest hole, and get a 1-2'' drop pitman arm.
The angles will decrease and be much better on the road.

Yup, I was contemplating that...you have confirmed my thoughts...will try it this week

Starboard M nailed. The angle is too severe.

Think about it this way...

Each rod end has to travel in an arc that is described by the fixed end (body/driver side) and the length of the rod.

If the rods are already at an angle, the slight up and down movement with suspension travel ends up being large side to side while at the same time following a different arc due to the difference in length between the rods.

The rule of thumb tends to be make the rods parallel, as close in length as possible and mounted at a very slight down angle to minimize bump steer under normal on-road type movements.

I have the same problem with the sway bar links. I am planning on trying the TeraFlex brackets that weld to the C and tube. Every thing else I tried binds at flex... I had the JKS stuff mounted for a while but then realized that their steering could potentially bind under hard braking.

I am running WJ TRE's and the knuckle ends are flipped to the tops of the knuckles.

HTH

I agree. your panhard is much shorter than your Drag link. running sway bar won't fix that

however, running a sway bar will stabilize the rig a bit.

running these can help

http://shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/Ra...and-Gussets-Swaybar-Link-Brackets-Gussets.htm

Out of JKS, JCR and Black Magic...Black Magic did the trick. If any of youend up having clearance issues on the passenger side where the tie rod end and draglink mount to the knuckle at full lock will want to use the black magic extended sway bar mounts!

Back