• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission oil

chacona

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee v6 4.0 and Im going to be dropping my Transmission pan and replacing the gasket. The question that I have is, how many quartz of transmission fluid needs to be put back in/or how many quartz does it call for??

I put 3 qts in and then check it after a warm up.

Measure the amount you drain out and use as a gauge on refill.

I like to have a clean drain pan so I can see debris on the bottom that was in the old fluid or oil.

You will need 6 quarts.

I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee v6 4.0 and Im going to be dropping my Transmission pan and replacing the gasket. The question that I have is, how many quartz of transmission fluid needs to be put back in/or how many quartz does it call for??

Just dropping the pan takes a little under 3 quarts on my 87 and 89 AW4.

it's an inline 6 btw... not a v6 :spin1:

Depends on your luck and how long you leave it open for. I'd say somewhere around 3-4 quarts, when I drained the pan and did the cooler lines and radiator on mine it took something like 4.5-5 iirc.

Dropping the pan or using the drain plug, I have never been able to get more than 3 quarts out at a time, and I did both of mine a total of about 10 times between 2008 and 2010. I did not disconnect the radiator or hoses.

I did have a tube come loose while the engine was running in neutral and it pumped a good 4-5 quarts on the driveway :shiver: once before I discovered it.

Bad plan? LOL, I work for the EPA! LOL

My 97 let go of 6 quarts when i pulled the drain plug

Interesting, so there must something different between the 87-89 AW4 and the newer ones. I always thought they were same except for 4wd versus 2wd tail cone-shaft differences.

Either that are you guys are way overfilling them (LOL, JK, as they can be that overfilled).

I'd like some details as to how kastein -- or anyone else --
". . . did the cooler lines and radiator . . . "
Trying to find that information is the only reason a WRX guy would sign up where the only "X" is attached to a "J." Well, that and love for the clueless son-in-law whose '96 Cherokee Sport with AW4 needs thorough flushing. I'm pretty sure all the tar in the pan isn't a normal feature of this creature. Figure there's probably more of same in those lines and coils.

A link to some other thread with the info would be nice. Surely, there must be one. But, where to look? So far, I only get about 500 hits when I search, and most threads lack words like "transmission" in the first page. Haven't managed to narrow down my terms enough to get something useful.

IIRC you disconnect the lines at the radiator, put them in a collection bucket (clamped and held in place, and held down!!!), and run the engine, and put the transmission in neutral. That runs the fluid pump and it pumps till it runs out of fluid.

I'd like some details as to how kastein -- or anyone else --
". . . did the cooler lines and radiator . . . "
Trying to find that information is the only reason a WRX guy would sign up where the only "X" is attached to a "J." Well, that and love for the clueless son-in-law whose '96 Cherokee Sport with AW4 needs thorough flushing. I'm pretty sure all the tar in the pan isn't a normal feature of this creature. Figure there's probably more of same in those lines and coils.

A link to some other thread with the info would be nice. Surely, there must be one. But, where to look? So far, I only get about 500 hits when I search, and most threads lack words like "transmission" in the first page. Haven't managed to narrow down my terms enough to get something useful.

IIRC you disconnect the lines at the radiator, put them in a collection bucket (clamped and held in place, and held down!!!), and run the engine, and put the transmission in neutral. That runs the fluid pump and it pumps till it runs out of fluid.

That is the way I did my shade tree tranny flush and it worked just great. I wound up passing 12 quarts through my AW4 stopping only when the transmission was full and no new fluid remains.

When I drop the pan, it required 4.5 quarts to refill. Pull the drain plug, it required only 3 quarts.

BTW: My XJ is a 1996 Country with a 4.0L and AW4.

Where is the drain plug on the 96?

Right at the rear bottom of the trans pan, it's almost over the trans crossmember.

Right at the rear bottom of the trans pan, it's almost over the trans crossmember.

Then why would dropping the pan drain an extra 1.5 quarts?

"When I drop the pan, it required 4.5 quarts to refill. Pull the drain plug, it required only 3 quarts. "
IIRC got almost 3 quarts every time using the drain plug. And I did get more if and only if I removed the filter!!! That was on the 87, and I don't think it was a full extra quart full when I did remove the filter.

Back