• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push button starter

smalltownbird

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a push button start in my 98 xj with a flip switch. I've been trying to find a write-up on what wires to tap into and how to wire the switch so that I can go keyless. I tried probing the wires I found online for the accessory switch but when flipping the switch I blew the underhood 40amp fuse. Anyone know what I'm missing? Here is a picture:
5a3yhu4u.jpg

Right now I have the red power wire under the column wired to the switch then the switch wired to the starter button and the button to the starter wire (I tapped into the red and cut the starter). I need to get the accessories wired to the switch so when I flip the switch it is like turning the key to run. Any ideas?

I would just use the key. Plus you still have to deal with the steering and shifter lock. So much for going keyless

Lol... I don't even wanna say how easy mine would be to steal just from nice factory parts from 92'... but wow. Think that one through? I hope for the sake of your jeep you don't figure this one out.

Use the flip switch for a nos on/off and the button for a 150 shot.

In the words of Ron Burgundy, "what is this, amateur hour?"

Currently i still need the key. The plan is, once I figure out what acc wires to tap, to run a kill switch or pop the fuse to the starter wire. I'm not worried about it being stolen. I park in my garage and I only drive it once a week, I have an 03 lightning for my other vehicle. I was just looking for something different to do when I was bored on my day off. Thanks for all the criticism... What do you guys who take your doors off do to protect your stuff? Oh, I bet you remove everything except the drivers seat and the steering wheel so no one can take anything...

Currently i still need the key. The plan is, once I figure out what acc wires to tap, to run a kill switch or pop the fuse to the starter wire. I'm not worried about it being stolen. I park in my garage and I only drive it once a week, I have an 03 lightning for my other vehicle. I was just looking for something different to do when I was bored on my day off. Thanks for all the criticism... What do you guys who take your doors off do to protect your stuff? Oh, I bet you remove everything except the drivers seat and the steering wheel so no one can take anything...

Um yeah? I dont take the steering wheel but I sure dont leave anything it it....

Re: Re: Push button starter

Um yeah? I dont take the steering wheel but I sure dont leave anything it it....

You don't have a radio? Registration and insurance papers? Loose change? Misc tools? What does it matter, I asked for help with wiring and all you do is give your worthless opinion. If you don't want to help go back to asking how to put air in your tires and leave the thread

What do you guys who take your doors off do to protect your stuff? Oh, I bet you remove everything except the drivers seat and the steering wheel so no one can take anything...

lol at the push button start

and regarding the doorless mod, welll i have a super cheap stereo and i take all my tools out if im parking somewhere (there also may or may not be a master kill switch hidden in my vehicle)

Mines parked in the driveway, no doors or rear hatch. CD player and amp all inside. Wife's jeep parked in front if it so you can't get it drive it out. Pitbull let's me know if your in my driveway, security cameras if I'm not home and mr. Mossberg or mr. Glock(depending on my mood) to make sure you never steal again.

So, aside from cars since 2000 using push start. You have to fiddle with your keys, fumble under the dash to find a kill switch or put a fuse in, then push a button... unless your flip switch is the kill switch? Makes no sense to why its an inch away from the button?

Id probably go about finding a schematic on the ignition wiring for your particular year. As for the accessories blowing fuses, that switch probably can't handle the load without some relays and using the switch as a ground only connection... I mean that tiny switch is now controlling lights/radio/instruments/dash functions....

Sounds like a lost cause to me

Also, going off my above post, if you figured out how to finally get the switch to turn on the whole vehicle, I'm wondering if when you killed power with the switch if you would lose all radio presets etc... like disconnecting the battery, since accessories like the radio draw a small current to keep your settings. That would annoy the hell out of me every time, I dunno about you? But I like my music and I like to set up my system once.

That's another conundrum

I had my 98 wire for push button, worked great. I had a switch for the accessories and one for "run". Pm scredneck, he had all the info I used, which I no longer have as I no longer have the jeep (sold not stolen).

I think the problem with my wiring was I was trying to tap into wires and not cut them. When I flipped the switch it had power going from the stock wiring and from the red wire (power). I'll keep playing with it. And I guess if its stolen you all get to say I told you so. In my area, xjs are the most stolen vehicles, so if they get into, its going to be stolen anyway...

get a removable race/track steering wheel... remove it and bring it inside when not driving the jeep. Problem solved.

I don't think the problem is that you tapped rather than cutting wires, I think it's that you mis wired it or used too small wire and too low current capability switches.

Back