• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to expect as a Moab Noob?

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Just curious of restaurants and such I should avoid or definitely go to, how many miles I can expect to be on trails(easy stuff, 1478 miles from my door to Moab and I'm not towing it), trails that you must hit the first time, stuff like that. Also I know its like driving on sandpaper out there as opposed to the trees, loose rock, and mud I'm used to in Indiana, any tips for driving on slickrock?

Nice video!

Blu Pig was damn awesome. We had about 12 of us and they put up with us no problem. I certainly recommend Moab Brewery as well. As for trails that are on the easy end yet still offer some challenges Fins n Things offers a good taste of slick rock, sand and some small ledges and steep yet short descents, its also really close to town. We also did Top of the World, its about 45mins north east of town down 128. The drive out along the Colorado River is very scenic. The trail it self is very easy until you get to the loop portion of the trail. Theres a few 12" or so ledges along the trail but nothing to crazy. The view at the Top of the World lookout is worth the drive out and the boring first half of the trail. If your feeling confidant in your rig Hells Revenge is another must do! Hells Gate, Escalator, Hot Tubs and Tip Over Challenge are all optional.

dyjazera.jpg

vyju2e9y.jpg

haduqanu.jpg

unuzy8yb.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say hit the local joints, and avoid the chains. There used to be a good little Mexican on the north side of town that's no longer there, doggone it. The Italian joint in the middle of town uses almost enough garlic.

Pick up a copy of the Charles Wells book about Moab trails. You will cover a few miles daily, just make sure you always start the day with a full tank of fuel, as well as food for you & your passengers, and at least a gallon of water per person per day that you're going to be out.

I'm so pumped for this trip, now to get the XJ back in action.....I've got a month til winterfest! :D

Fins N Things is a good trail to get used to slickrock, Top of the World is cool for the view, Shafer Trail switchbacks are fun. I did Chicken Corners on an ATV, not sure how it would be in a Jeep.

Like Jeff said, go to local restaurants. Once you get off the main strip there are several good places. It has been a few years since I have been there, can't remember exactly. Moab Diner is good for breakfast, but can be very busy. First time you go into City Market (grocery store) sign up for a discount card. It will save you a little $$ through the week.

On your way there, get off I-70 at Cisco and take 128 to town. Very scenic route along the Colorado River.

Aaron, check my FB photo albums. I have one from my 04 trip with several pics of Fins N Things.

There's a Thai place by the visitor center gets a ten IMO zac's is a pizza joint that's good. Fins and things to start and get the book

Moab brewery is fine for food but the beer may disapoint if you are a beer snob like me. I'm hauling my own ale for trail and camp. Even the SUV trails are worth the drive so taking the easy trails shouldn't be a worry. Besides, there are plenty of repair shops if you do encounter carnage.

4x4 outpost was helpful and resourceful but failed to weld my friends TURDY5 back together but it was a bit of a task to begin with. We managed to get referred to a welder from the guys at O Rielly who did a awesome job welding and reinforcing the carrier.

It held up here
http://youtu.be/0fkyyjqFQkk

My four favorite restaurants in order of favorite is Pasta Jays, La Hacienda, Zacs and Moab brewery.

DO NOT!!!!! Go to Eddie McStiffs or the Jailhouse cafe. McStiffs is a SUWA supporter and the Jailhouse is just awful and filled with Eco green earth muffins.

Moab brewery is fine for food but the beer may disapoint if you are a beer snob like me. I'm hauling my own ale for trail and camp. Even the SUV trails are worth the drive so taking the easy trails shouldn't be a worry. Besides, there are plenty of repair shops if you do encounter carnage.

I don't drink, as for carnage I will have shafts, alternator, starter, cps, nss, spare u-joints, and a ton of tools. Which is why I migt need an m416! :D

I brought spare front axle shafts, 2 front drive shafts cause my front and rear interchange and a spare Tcase cause i though mine was on its way out and a full size spare. Lots of tools, we were in a condo with a 2 car garage so i had a floor jack and big jack stands, angle grinder and half my tool box from my shop. Dont be to crazy with the spare parts, Moab has quite a few parts stores, hell O Rielly has gears and install kits in stock.

Whats all done to your XJ?

Last edited:
I brought spare front axle shafts, 2 front drive shafts cause my front and rear interchange and a spare Tcase cause i though mine was on its way out and a full size spare. Lots of tools, we were in a condo with a 2 car garage so i had a floor jack and big jack stands, angle grinder and half my tool box from my shop. Dont be to crazy with the spare parts, Moab has quite a few parts stores, hell O Rielly has gears and install kits in stock.

Whats all done to your XJ?

Nice Pics, Jay! I plan on getting a pic of my Jeep there on that overlook!

I also will be running front driveshafts at both ends. 400lbs of armor, 32's, front locker, 8.8 swap w/true trac, 3" lift, and a whole list of other stuff.

Pic whore time! :D
Betsyledge.jpg

It'll be an inch taller w/33's by Moab. Had plans for a hybrid cage by then but it probably won't happen.

Last edited:
Oh hell youll do great! Start with Fins and youll want to do Hells or Poison Spider by the end of the week. Who are you going with? Other guys who have been?

Oh hell youll do great! Start with Fins and youll want to do Hells or Poison Spider by the end of the week. Who are you going with? Other guys who have been?

Yeah I'll be following experienced people at the 30th Anniversary Celebration!

Fins N Things is a good trail to get used to slickrock, Top of the World is cool for the view, Shafer Trail switchbacks are fun. I did Chicken Corners on an ATV, not sure how it would be in a Jeep.

Like Jeff said, go to local restaurants. Once you get off the main strip there are several good places. It has been a few years since I have been there, can't remember exactly. Moab Diner is good for breakfast, but can be very busy. First time you go into City Market (grocery store) sign up for a discount card. It will save you a little $$ through the week.

On your way there, get off I-70 at Cisco and take 128 to town. Very scenic route along the Colorado River.

Aaron, check my FB photo albums. I have one from my 04 trip with several pics of Fins N Things.

Damn, i didn't think you could be any skinnier! :D

We'll be making the 1600 mile trip too but we won't be going with anyone who's been before. I'm sure there'll be plenty of folks to tag along with, right Aaron????

Sounds like the Charles Wells book made the list of things to get though.

Back