• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker cover still leaking...

alex673

NAXJA Forum User
After replacing my rocker cover gasket about 5 times, I decided to use high temp RTV silicone to secure the rocker cover to the head. Unfortunately, it is still leaking.:rattle:
I have a '95 4.0L HO with a '96 rocker cover. Could the problem be the change in year for the rocker cover?

The straight six rocker cover is prone to warpage if overtightened. Once this happens, it may be difficult to get it to seat properly.

Have you checked the cover for flatness?

Thanks for the reply Jeff! I haven't checked to see if it is flat... I'm going to try fix the leak this weekend again, so I will definitely check it before I change the gasket! Cheers!

After replacing my rocker cover gasket about 5 times, I decided to use high temp RTV silicone to secure the rocker cover to the head. Unfortunately, it is still leaking.:rattle:
I have a '95 4.0L HO with a '96 rocker cover. Could the problem be the change in year for the rocker cover?

Yes, the 95 and 96 valve covers are not interchangeable. You'll need to go back to the 95 valve cover.

I suggest you use a Felpro valve cover gasket set, part number VS 50522T for a 95 valve cover. And don't use RTV with this gasket. The kit comes with new inserts so you won't over torque the screws.

How long before it started leaking after you allowed the RTV to setup?

It lasted about 2 weeks before it started leaking. The RTV I used is for industrial high heat applications, so I figured it would be OK...
But it looks like I'm going to have to go back to a '95 cover if they aren't interchangeable.
Thanks for the replies, guys, really appreciate it!:wave1:

Yes, the 95 and 96 valve covers are not interchangeable. You'll need to go back to the 95 valve cover.

I suggest you use a Felpro valve cover gasket set, part number VS 50522T for a 95 valve cover. And don't use RTV with this gasket. The kit comes with new inserts so you won't over torque the screws.
:bs: they are, you just need to use the later model rubber gasket without rtv

I just clean the mating surfaces completely, then wipe them down with carb cleaner. I use no gasket. I coat the cover with a bead of "the right stuff" and place it on the cleaned head. I install the screws and finger tighten them. I wait about an hour then tighten down to a just a little more. Tightening too much causes everything to squeeze out. I have never had a problem other than getting the cover back off.

Back