• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start

4wdParakeet

NAXJA Forum User
89xj with 4.6l stroker, metallic button clutch. Today I was going to leave work and jeep start just fine. Went to back out of my spot and it kinda studdered a little and I heard a small squeal. Jeep is running fine at this point. Foot on the clutch it started sputtering and acting like it was out of time when I would give it gas to go, I put it back in neutral and let off the clutch and it ran like a top and rev as nothing is wrong. I then put it back into reverse and was going to limp it back to my parking spot and it acted like it cleared up and the sputtered and died. Now it wont restart. I tried to crank it over to use the starter to get it back to a spot and it would crank like normal but would barely move. In the past when I've used the starter to move the jeep it would jump forward and most of the time start and try and take off.

I'm thinking it may be the CPS but the clutch aspect is what worries me. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

Parakeet

Last time someone posted up a story like yours their bellhousing bolts were loose and when the pressure from depressing the clutch would force the CPS far enough out of line with the flywheel to cause the engine to die when in reverse.

Back