• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking gas tank? & Weird horn issue?

siebermd

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, yep new guy here, this is my 3rd Jeep, just cant get enough of them. Just bought a 96 XJ Classic, shes a beauty and well taken care of. I have a couple issues however, 1st, the gas tank has a leak (dripping roughly 8 drops per min). Is this a simple or difficult repair? 2nd, the horn works once (one push) then nothing, then it will work again after about 4 min (only one push) and so on and so forth? I suspect maybe the relay? Any help in the right direction for either of these is much appreciated.
Matt

Simple but a pain. Dropping the fuel tank is a couple bolts but pick up a pump and a couple jerry cans to drain the gas. Drop it, clean it, seal it and re-install. If its a small enough hole you can just throw some JB weld or the plastic equiv. over it. If its a crack you might want to look into getting it replaced. Little costly but worth it in the long run. Will keep the fuel pressure from screwing with the rest of the Jeep.

The horn thing? Get a volt tester and check the wires before and after the fuse / relay. I've never heard of that but sounds like a bad ground issue.

Thanks SBpunk, Much appreciated, time to start digging in. I am going to give the tank my best visual before dropping to see if I can find something prior to extensive work. But knowing my luck, I might as well get preppared for the worst.
As far as the horn, Im no Electrician. The relay is only 17.99 so I think I will give it a shot. Hope that is the problem.

Do it right, either replace the tank, weld it up, or run real tank sealer in the tank. Don't trust JB Weld.

The tank sealant can be gotten many places. I got some at www.eastwoodco.com

XJ horns are notorious for getting packed with mud or water and rusting solid.

Beware of tank repairs. I wouldn't go near an old tank with a welding torch. Apart from the risk of vapour going bang and singeing your eyebrows or much worse, trying to reseal and refit an old tank is a pain.

The problem, especially if the vehicle has been in a rust-prone area and/or has done a lot of off-roading, is that grit, mud and crud builds up in the gap between the tank itself and whatever protective tank-shield you have underneath it. That dirt and grit never dries out properly so rots out the floor of the tank. The leak may start as a few drips, but the whole metal base of the tank, or parts of it, may be lace-thin. Sloshing sealant around inside may help cure the leak.... only for a while.

Ask me how I know.... my 1993 XJ's gas-tank went that way (and it had lived for its first 15 years in the desert). Mine had that flexible shield strapped underneath it - it's not steel but some composite stuff. I bit the bullet and fitted a new tank.

So, if you do take the fuel tank out, test it vigorously - perhaps with a screwdriver, especially across the whole of the base and along the seams. Rust attacks everywhere.

Obvious other tip: when you re-fit or replace the tank, first give the load-space floor above it a good check too, and rustproof that panel and the outside of the whole tank itself while you have decent access.

I don't have any specific write-ups, but it's pretty straight forward-- a couple straps hold the assembly to the vehicle and a handfull of hoses and wires need to be disconnected to allow it to drop down and out from under the vehicle. It should be relatively obvious once you crawl under and see what's there.

On a side note, be very careful with the fuel pump and assembly when transferring it to the new tank-- if I remember correctly, the '96 uses an unusual sending unit that can be tough to find (only on year of production before the +'97 tank and sending units replaced it)

Back