• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine keeps dying out

Locked98GC

NAXJA Forum User
1995 XJ. I've had a problem for awhile where it's not keeping fuel pressure and wait I 3 seconds and the Jeep starts up. This morning it started up but when it went to the run position (key) the engine stopped running. It will start up but as soon as it goes from the start to the run position the Jeep motor/engine stops running. If I keep it in the start position it will keep running (I no it's not good on the starter). Any ideas?

Engine runs properly when I let off the key/switch just a little to keep the starter from being engaged. Remembering back I have had problems with the Jeep not starting and wiggling the key to make it work. Guess I'll start with a new ignition switch.

Grabbed another fuel pump relay from my sons Eagle (4.0 swap in progress) and it fixed the problem. The switch still needs to be replaced due to a dead spot in the run position.

Replaced the switch too, $45 from Napa. To get the cover off the steering column and you don't have a long thin T20 (like a one piece screwdriver) a long 7/64" Allen works. Also with the switch there are 3 tamper proof T20 screws holding it on.

Back