• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles shims needed for my lift?

JeeperYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have the zone 4.5" lift with an add-a-leaf and 1" shackles for the rear. Looks like after talking to zone. The rear is 1" for shackle and 2" for add-a-leaf. Total of 3". Front is 4.5" I guess.

After putting full size spare on (32" tire), roof rack, etc it has dropped in the rear 1". Not liking it, I ordered the 3.5" RE spring pack. Amazon had them for $110 free shipping.

If I put the 1" shackles back on, that's 4.5" in the rear lift. I do have the 1" TC drop bracket. Are shims needed? If so, what degree? Is the 1" shackle drop too much?

Thanks guys.

PS, this is for my 97 Cherokee XJ

No sye kit? You will just have to put it all on and measure your angles. With no SYE kit you want the pinion parallel to the transfercase output. With a SYE kit you want the pinion pointing straight at the t case output.

No. Current setup no vibs. I heard 2* is the round number?

There is no magic shim number. What whitexj98 said is correct. If you HAVE an SYE and a CV rear driveline, you need to shim the rear so that the pinion points at the transfer case output. If you don't have an SYE and CV rear driveline, then the pinion angle needs to be parallel to the transfer case output.

No one can tell you what shims to put in, you need to put it together and lower it to the ground, get an angle finder and measure the angle on the transfercase output, then measure the angle on the rear axle pinion, and add shims to make up the difference.

with 1" shackles and a TC drop, your angles will probably match up fine without shims. The tc drop will drop the output down, the shackles will point the pinion up.

But as others have said, each truck and setup is different so you'll have to see how it turns out - unfortunately it's the only way to be sure what you personally will need.

Back