• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint / Axle questions

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, Dana 30 Front, Dana 35 Rear, AW4, I6 4.0

I'm in the process of changing my ball joints and this is the first time I'm doing this so I had a few questions:

1) I have a C-frame from Harbor Freight should that be good enough to get the upper and lower ball joints in and out?
2) When you press the new ball joints in do you grease them up to ease them in or do you install them dry?
3) Do I have to have the weight off both axle shafts to get them in and out or can I do one wheel at a time ie one front wheel on the ground?
4) Do I need to drain the pumpkin before removing axle shafts?
5) Would my Dana 30 be a reverse or standard configuration

Many thanks for any advice

No need to drain the diff.

You need the 4wd ball joint kit, the basic one doesn't have the right cups for a Dana 30 ball joint.

From what I've read, the HF press is hit or miss. I have an OTC press with the adapters, made the job fairly easy. You'll have to use some shims to make sure you're pressing the joints in straight. Or better yet, you can rent the press and adapters from AutoZone or some place. I used some antiseize on mine to keep them from rusting in place (like the ones that I replaced).

I've got the HF press and it works great if you have the 4x4 adapter kit and a BFH, which you should have as a jeep owner anyways.

Use the hammer trick... tighten the press down as tightly as you can with one arm on a 7/8 box wrench, then whack the inner C with your BFH right where the balljoint goes through it. If it doesn't pop loose a bit, hit it again, slightly harder. Repeat as necessary.

I took the 200k+ mile rust/salt belt OEM balljoints out of my 91 MJ this way with an HF press. No sweat, no power tools, maybe 45min a side the first time I did it, it takes me 20min on any jeep now that I know what I'm doing.

You can do one side at a time no problem.

Here's an example of how to get the balljoints out of both the knuckle and the inner C:

Works on the taper getting them out of the knuckle, works just as well on the pressed in section going into the inner C, you just need the press to put constant pressure on there while you apply shock with the hammer from the side.

Thanks for the info could someone confirm if this would be a reverse Dana 30 or standard and do you really need shims for the cups

probably standard / low pinion on a 2001, you can confirm by checking if the differential pinion is below the centerline of the differential (standard/low pinion) or above the centerline (reverse cut/high pinion) on the front axle. It shouldn't affect balljoint application, they're the same balljoints either way, but it's good to know regardless.

Low pinion is the dirty one:
2mfkpso.jpg

As for shims, I have never needed them since I have the 4x4 adapter kit for the balljoint press. It can be interesting figuring out which cups and press pieces to use, but once you think about it a bit it's not bad.

I just wanted to check - do I need to take out the axle shafts to change the upper an lower ball joints on the Dana 30

Yup, they just slide out. Don't bother taking the axle nuts off - just take the whole axle/bearing assembly out together. The unit bearings may be seized into the knuckles, you can use either the bolt and nut trick, the ratchet extension trick, or the deep well socket trick to force them out with the power steering.

Yes, they slide right out. Just be careful sliding the shaft back in. Put some grease on the splines and the area where the seal rides before you put them back in. If you're not careful you can damage the axle seals.

anyone have a source for the Dana 30 adapters, I need to do this and none of the parts places around here have the angled adapters? used PepBoys the last time but they no longer stock the 4wd adapters. Thanks, John

OTC Jeep/Dodge Ram Ball Joint Service Adapter Kits 7894 Summit Racing $82.95

14 Piece Master Ball Joint Adapter Set at harborfreight.com $69.99

Good lord, give a Nurse a tool... :gee:

Just kidding. The field medic in me HAD to say something. :flipoff:

I have the HF basic kit and with some massaging I got everything in and out ok. AND it was the first time I had ever done ball joints. I made some mistakes along the way but all they cost me was time.

Kastein's video is worth the time to watch.

It's intimidating to tear your front end apart the first time. But once you get in process you'll see it's no big deal.

done them already on 2 other axles.
and just prefer the others, also EMS for 20 years. LOL

I'm probably not going to be able to complete this install now for a couple of weeks (got other things that got in the way), is there any problem leaving the XJ on axle stands on the unibody frame for that length of time - not sure if it would cause any undue stress/bending over time???

I've got my new Dana Spicer ball joints ready to put in but the lower ones seem a bit loose for new joints

Jackstands under the front axle?

As long as the truck is level and not all twisted it should be fine.

I have stands under the front axle but I was also going to add two more stands one on each side of the unibody frame just behind the lower control arms.

No need to do all that. It'll sit like that with no issues.

It's not a good idea to leave one side jacked up for a long time. But if it's level its really no problem.

Until the neighbors complain ...

yep... should be fine as long as they are on solid ground.

If the neighbors complain, roll the tires into the wheel wells and put stuff under them until they are in about the right spot :eyes: :anon:

Back