• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Bumper Winch Build

STUART69

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a winch bumper for the front and using 4x4 1/4" for the middle between the frame rails. Question is, do I weld the winch platform to the top or bottom of the 4X4, or run it through it. I think going through will make a stronger base. Comments?

Last edited:
I used 2x4 3/16 square tubing for my bumper. I welded the plate on top and added two 1/2" braces. I mounted it on top to increase my approach angle.

RR3
DSCN0761.JPG

DSCN0771.JPG

You're best bet is to run it through the 4x4. The winch plate should be fully 1/4" to be Warn winch plate compliant. You can download the winch plate diagrams from their site. They've set a standard cause they know what they're doing. You want the winch as low as possible in the bumper so that it keeps your CG lower and airflow to the radiator at a maximum.

urbumper2.jpg

Enjoy.

Ralph, I like how your bumper looks. I'm wondering if you have the plans or measurements for it, and if you do if i could get them off you.

No plans available. We built it as we went. You can see more pics on my web site. (click on www) It is very simple in design.

RR3

im currently working on one too, (will post pics when i get done), but im putting it on top for approach angle reasons

Back