• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ won't start after warmed up! Need you help

Built2kill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 cherokee classic 4.0 HO and recently been having issues. I normally warm it up for a couple minutes then drive to the gym & work in the morning. No more than 1 mile so it doesn't run long. Once I turn it back on wether it's 5 or 45 minutes it cranks but will not turn over. Eventually it will turn over after like an hour since being on. Seems as if once it cools back down it will turn on. From my house to work it doesn't even get to operating temp usually about 1/2 way there. Where do I even start?

CPS. Try unplugging the connector and plugging it back in during a no-start condition.

I think on your year the connector is on the pass. side down by the oil dipstick tube.

Mine is similar, but mine only require the vehicle sit about 15-20 min to restart with no gas pedal movement.

I can always (or at least so far) get it started by mashing the go pedal & holding it down till it fires.

Mine is a 96, and everything checks ok on the code reader (no codes, and the running data looks fine).

See if you have SPARK when the CRANK/NO START condition presents.

So it's still having the same issue. The check engine light comes on when it has this issue so I had a buddy hook up his reader to it and it threw 1899- NUetral safety switch. I was almost sold that this was. CPS problem but now the reader said that. From everything I've read this doesn't match up to a NSS issue because it will actual crank just won't start. Any one experience this? Or have any other opinions?

The neutral safety switch (NSS) is in the starter circuit, and will only let you start it in Netural and Park. Since it is cranking over, it's not the NSS. When you are cranking it, does the tachometer move? Also, have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail? Should be about 39-40psi.

When the CPS in my '92 XJ went it would consistently fail when warm. In fact, the first time it died, I simply sat by the side of the road for 20min to let it cool off enough to start again. Probably not a bad idea to replace it just to be sure.

Wait for the jeep to cool down. Start it up to confirm it starts.

Go get a hair dryer or heat gun and warm the CPS up a bunch. Try to start the jeep.

No start? CPS is shot.

I haven't had this issue with my 96, but sure had it with my Renix. I'd have to sit there for an hour sometimes to get it too start. One day I hit on an idea and dumped a bottle of water onto the CPS to cool it down and it fired right up.

Doubtful to hurt anything in your 95 if you are careful where you aim the water and if it fires up you will know for sure your issue is heat and the CPS.

Also try starting with about 1/8 gas pedal. If your battery isn't charged enough the IAC may not have enough juice to open while you are cranking and it starves the motor for air. Not likely but a possibility.

Well went ahead and bought the new CPS online should be here within a week so once I get that replaced ill let you guys know the verdict. I'm hoping this is my problem! Any install tips lol? Besides a lot of extenders and knuckle joint socket.

Well went ahead and bought the new CPS online should be here within a week so once I get that replaced ill let you guys know the verdict. I'm hoping this is my problem! Any install tips lol? Besides a lot of extenders and knuckle joint socket.

DON'T drop the special bolts.

Use a 6 point 11mm socket (12 point works, but can be risky if you haven't done it before and the bolts are seized) a ujoint and like 2-3 feet of extensions from underneath the jeep. Lie under the driver side frame rail with your head behind the front tire, reach up around the outside of the front driveshaft with your left arm and feel for the bolts, then put the extensions/socket/ratchet up from around the trans crossmember with your right arm. Guide the socket onto each bolt and go for it.

A suggestion when putting the bolts back in... Use either a magnetic swivel socket or use tape to hold the bolt in the socket; otherwise you may drop the bolt were you don't want it to go.

Ok cps was replaced first day of driving it and sure enough the damn thing died once the temp reached up to 210. The car no shut turned off an wont turn back on right now. I'm lost

Did you install a OEM CPS or did you purchase one from an AP store?
Aftermarket ones are known to have problems with their quality.
This is the reason why whenever I purchase sensors; I use OEM parts.

I buy 4 at the junkyard for $20 and at least 3 work.

Back