• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9 inch, 44 or 8.8

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So im at point of trying to find my rear axle for my build. My front is a full width HP 44 out of 77 F150. Will be built the the hills and about 68 wms to wms. My question is what should I run for the rear? I Will put a ARB in whatever rear end goes in along with cromo shafts and 4.88 gears.

Finding a 9 inch in CO is hard and people want $500-$600 for them. Most junkyard ones are big bearing, and bent. Im having a hard time finding one. I was thinking of doing a 44 rear, but once again, rare to find a xj or one thats going to work. I did though just find a 8.8 alread geared to 4.88 for $400. do a super 88 and then run spacers and rear should come out to about 65 wms to wms, which isent bad at all I dont think. Im leaning town snaggin it up since it already has the gears in it, so I wouldent have to buy them. Already buying cromo shafts so that gets rid of the c-clip. What do you guys think?

60 or 14 bolt is not a option so dont even bring that into the question.

I have a pair of '87 Waggy D44's for sale. The rear was started for disc conversion when I got them and due to deployment I have not been able to finish it off. Other than that, they are both bare axles. Send PM if you are interested and I can make some calls back to Colorado Springs to possibly have someone meet you..

For me availability and ease of install was everything, had I of came across an 8.8 first I would of went that route, but I found a D44 minus the brakes for $250 with my same gearing so I jumped on it. I think I paid to much for it but it was what I wanted.

The 8.8 come stock with 31 spline shafts, the D44 is 30 spline, idk what options the 8.8 has but I saw where you can get a 35 spline setup for the 44. My buddy runs the 9 and that thing is just pure beef.

I'm a big fan of the 8.8 due to the disc brakes, available ratios, and posi

I'd look for a full width 8.8. Since your planning to swap an ARB, your going to be in the diff anyway, a set of gears isn't going to cost mch more.

What size tires are you on? I'd trust stock 8.8 shafts on 35s, bigger if your gentle.

I'd look for a full width 8.8. Since your planning to swap an ARB, your going to be in the diff anyway, a set of gears isn't going to cost mch more.

What size tires are you on? I'd trust stock 8.8 shafts on 35s, bigger if your gentle.

^^ what he said. I think you're paying top-dollar for that 8.8, even with gears. You should be able to find a full-width 8.8 in a yard for a couple hundo - I scored my explorer 8.8 with chromo shafts, the stock shafts, gears, ARB and a stainless ARB line for $900.

Besides, if you buy from a JY and skip the spacers, even after the gears you should still come out ahead, and then you don't have to worry about that possible point of failure (the spacers that is).

BTW, Love my 8.8 with chromos. I'm running 37" MTRs and have put some smack-down with it. Broken a few U-Joints on my D44 up front but no problems with the 8.8. IMO there's no reason to go through the hassle and cost of a 9" in the rear unless you have a D60 up front... but plenty of people do it so what do I know! :laugh3:

BTW, Love my 8.8 with chromos. I'm running 37" MTRs and have put some smack-down with it. Broken a few U-Joints on my D44 up front but no problems with the 8.8. IMO there's no reason to go through the hassle and cost of a 9" in the rear unless you have a D60 up front... but plenty of people do it so what do I know! :laugh3:

What 44 are you running up front?

It's a Waggy 44. I cut a rotated the inner C's to get decent drive line angle and keep good caster angle. Then a TNT truss with their Y-link arms. I'm running stock shafts up front...

Just trying to get a feel for what every ones running for front 44s. I got a TJ Rubi housing for free and a Ecited locker for next to free. I wanna build the crap outta the housing, sleeve, truss and gusset the Cs and 3 link the front and maybe a small stretch. WJ knuckle swap and cromo shafts. Not sure what to do about the steering if I stretch it.

I'll be running a ford HP44 out of a 77 f150. Full width. With custom tryss, chevy flat tops and crane high steer arms. ARB and 4.88 gears.

The rubi 44 Arnt much stronger then a 30. But can be built to be pretty decent.

Explorers arent full width. They do come with disks easier than f150 8.8s though. Most of the axles i have found in f150 ll had drum brakes. Only once did i see a disk f150 8.8. Disks was the whole reason i went 8.8. Personally 8.8 or 9 would work. 9 has so many aftermarket availabilty its ridiculous. But then again go with whats the better deal. 400 for a geared 8.8 is going rate. Unless you get lucky at a pick a part and pull one yourself.

That 8.8 you are talking about is a drum brake 28? spline out of a ranger...aka...not what you are looking for.

9" rear ends are plentiful out here. Two weekends ago I was at UPAP and there was no less than 10 9" axles sitting there. And why are you against Big bearing 9's?

Mike if you find a dam 9 in a junkyard snag that crap for me. There arnt any in the yards up here in denver. Snag one of its big bearing and 31 spline. and ill grab it from you later and get you lunch for doing it :)

Explorers arent full width. They do come with disks easier than f150 8.8s though. Most of the axles i have found in f150 ll had drum brakes. Only once did i see a disk f150 8.8. Disks was the whole reason i went 8.8. Personally 8.8 or 9 would work. 9 has so many aftermarket availabilty its ridiculous. But then again go with whats the better deal. 400 for a geared 8.8 is going rate. Unless you get lucky at a pick a part and pull one yourself.

So pull the drum F150 8.8 and the brakes off an Explorer :dunno:
Still would be WAY cheaper than building a 9"... everything is more expensive for a 9". EVERYTHING. $50 here, $100 there, pretty soon you've spent $500 more for your axle, and that's assuming you don't go to the 35spline, that will be even more. Just saying. I mean sure, if price is no option, the 9" is beefier, but if you're at 37s or less, 8.8 has plenty beef.

And what's this talk about "aftermarket availability"? Locker, chormo axles, gears, truss/brackets, HD diff covers ... what else is there? All of these are readily available for the 8.8. (Nobody here is talking about custom housings and all that craziness... we're talking about JY axles.)

True but most of the JY 8.8's you find that are of the FW flavor are out of the expeditions (random bolt pattern) Plus a lot of the f-150's had the factory "locker" so the carriers are missing and you have to replace them anyway.
Also the 8.8 is a c-clip axle. While not a deal breaker, having a semi float or full float axle makes repairs a ton easier.

Plus getting a 3rd geared is a TON easier than moving the axle around to get geared.
Plus the options of 33 and 35 spline shafts is groovy as well.

True but most of the JY 8.8's you find that are of the FW flavor are out of the expeditions (random bolt pattern) Plus a lot of the f-150's had the factory "locker" so the carriers are missing and you have to replace them anyway.
Also the 8.8 is a c-clip axle. While not a deal breaker, having a semi float or full float axle makes repairs a ton easier.

Plus getting a 3rd geared is a TON easier than moving the axle around to get geared.
Plus the options of 33 and 35 spline shafts is groovy as well.

He was talking about the super 8.8 kit, which includes new shafts and eliminates the c clips.

I have a super 88 in the back of the Mj with a richmond drag spool. It's semi float.

it's super bling and unbreakable* on 35's.

*I haven't yet, and I usually break things.

Back