• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"key in ignition" chime but no dome lights, drivers door, 2000XJ

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My mom just bought this XJ from me and I'm fixing all of the little things.

When the drivers door is open the "key in ignition" chime is working but I do not have dome/courtesy lights. The lights work with the other 3 doors but not with the hatch.

Where do I start? I know the door pin switch is good or the chime wouldn't work.

Pull the door switch & make sure both wires are attached, one wire is the dome light other is door chime. Replace the door switch if it traces to that being bad, switch is inexpensive & you can get it at any NAPA, Auto Zone, etc.

Don't forget there are 2 sets of fuses. When I bought my XJ I had this same issue as well as no electric windows.

Turns out it was in the fuse block under the hood, not inside.
=====

Thanks! i will pull that door pin and look at it. I think I have a few spares in the Jeep barn.

I think the fuse is good since the lights work with the other three doors.

I'm still tracing this problem. So far, no luck.

The pin switch and wires are fine, no fuses are blown. The dome/courtesy lights work with the other three doors and the hatch but not with the drivers door. The "key in ignition" chime and "headlights on" chime both work with the drivers door being opened.

Where do I go from here? I really need the wire schematic for the 00 XJ so i can trace this better informed.

I have a wire schematic now but no luck finding any or much info on the issue. All of the switches go to a module but if the module were bad then the lights wouldn't work with any door correct?

The module is only for the headlamp delay. I'm not sure why is doesn't show it on the wiring diagram but I was almost positive there is supposed to be three wires on the drivers door pin switch. Yellow is the dome light, black is the ground ,and Black with a Lite Blue stripe is the chime. If theyre all connected then that yellow wire has to have an open between the switch and the splice location. Which I'm pretty sure is there in the kick panel on the passenger side.

The module is only for the headlamp delay. I'm not sure why is doesn't show it on the wiring diagram but I was almost positive there is supposed to be three wires on the drivers door pin switch. Yellow is the dome light, black is the ground ,and Black with a Lite Blue stripe is the chime. If theyre all connected then that yellow wire has to have an open between the switch and the splice location. Which I'm pretty sure is there in the kick panel on the passenger side.

Correct! The connector is right between and underneath the kick panel and the lower door opening trim panel. All of the wiring looks good from where the switch wires enter the kick panel area to the connector.

My next step is to pull the switch and see if it has any issues, or maybe just disconnect it and check the continuity across the switch.

You probably won't be able to see if the wire has an open or not. The easiest way to test it though is to ground that yellow wire. If the dome lights come on then its good. If they don't just run a new one around to the splice from the pin switch.

You probably won't be able to see if the wire has an open or not. The easiest way to test it though is to ground that yellow wire. If the dome lights come on then its good. If they don't just run a new one around to the splice from the pin switch.

It was the switch! Really weird that the switch worked for the warning chime's but not for the lights?

Anyway, I had a few pin switches left over from some XJ's I've scrapped over the years. I put one of those in and bingo, the dome lights are working!

Thanks for all the help Scooby and others that responded.

Back