• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DEAD 95 xj HELP!

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
ok so its a stock 95 4.0 2wd aw4. heres the run down of what has happend. it started as being intermiten start when it wants to with the key but you could jump the starter and it would be fine, when this was happening the starter wasnt getting the signal. checked fuses, relays, wiring and changed starter all same deal. now it just started twice with 2 min in between and everything worked from lights to locks, then on the 3rd it all just stopped no sounds, lights, locks, windows nothing. the battery is good all fuses and relays good. so im stumped on whats next to atleast get power back to everything. really need help and fast got a month before it leaves my hands for good to ohio.

1. "The battery is good..."; did you have it load tested?

2. It "sounds" like you have bad battery main cables or corroded connections. The lights are completely independent of the starter or ignition circuits, but rely on the battery, the main cables, and other assorted wiring.

3. First, clean your battery's posts and the cable ends, see if that makes a difference.

I agree with Joe, I'd also clean up the starter connections while you're at it, may not be the cause but since you're cleaning one end you may as well clean the other too

ok well im am a diesle tech so all the basics have been covered. its not the battery or cables. battery is at 13.2 and it starts my other heep. seems like there is no power getting past the main relay box but all that stuff is new and working. could there be a computer issue. causing nothing to get power even headlights, or likely hood of the harness shorting out everything

Last edited:
ok fixed some harness wires and got power back to everything. now it dont want to start in park but will neutral. when its in park the relay isnt getting the signal but i can jump the relay in park and it starts. im thinking the nss cause for the past years the reverse lights rarely worked and then this started. so thoughts on this idea could realy help narrow this down. its got 207k on it and its been abused, drownd, covered in mud.

You are right on the NSS. If you can remove it with out damaging it, you can clean it and reuse it.

Back