• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Lock Issue

Robicon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ, tilt wheel, cruise, no SRS, with the following issue.

My XJ was stolen and recovered. The deviant punched the ingition so he could use a screwdriver to start it :flamemad:

I have a new key set, dissasembled the steering wheel, and took out the broken key switch. I can't rotate the stud in the column, the part that mates to the new key switch, into the off/lock position to line up the new key. I can turn the key to line it up. With the key switch installed it won't turn to the off/lock position so I can remove the key. I have to pull the whole key switch to get the key out...

I pulled the ingition switch from the bottom the the column to see the issue was with the connection rod between the key and the ingition. I still have the same issue.

I'm making the assumption that something in the column, up by the key switch behind the steering wheel is all boogered up. The column is a solid piece.

Is there some linkage deeper in the column that can be adjusted? What's the best way to get to it?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Your 1991 has a GM steering column, and it's been a while since I fully dismantled one of those but.....
I seem to remember there is a regular steel pushrod that is connected at both the top to a cast cam lever. I wonder if that cast part is damaged.

You may need to disassemble the steering column a bit more to find the area of damage. This link might help: http://www.chevyasylum.com/column/tiltcol.html

For future searchers, I had this same issue, and it came from the shift lock coming out of adjustment. In your case, the cable may have been bent or damaged. The adjustment is located at the shift lever.

Back