• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing front x-member

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of cutting out my front xmember and replacing it with 2x6 steel so i can prepare for a hidden winch mount and also give the front of my jeep some more stiffness in the front. I've done quite a bit of searching and found that the frame rails need to be braced before i cut it out so it doesn't "collapse". What ways did you guys brace the frame rails? Would using 2x6 make it more rigid in the front end?

Also, do you have to be a red letter member to be able to post in ad-fab?? seems this would be an ad-fab type of topic?? thanks

Posting it here is fine. Yes you have to be a member to post in ad-fab.

You have to brace the frame rails before you cut it so the two rails come out of square with each other. I just used some 1" square tubing and did a short stitch weld at each end to make sure the rails didn't move.

2x6 .250" wall is perfect. Exactly what I used to do mine.

Forward of the coil spring and shock mounts, the frame rails are pretty much just for bolting stuff to.

I bought a wrecked XJ and had to cut out the front cross member. The new cross member slipped right in and I welded it on. Nothing is going to move if you cut out the cross member, because the coil spring mounts will hold the rails in the correct locations.

How do you get to the winch lever the switch in-out?

^ how does that work if i don't have something tying the spring towers together??
The header panel helps tie the fenders together some. It will not fold like a taco if you cut the front crossmember out as long as you don't drive it that way. It might help to attach a temporary support while you work on the new crossmember.

You don't need to brace it if you leave the top portion of the cross member in place like I did. You can even make the new crossmember and winch mount removable by bolting it to the framerails like you would a bumper. If you want to see pictures i believe there are some in my build thread in advanced fab.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1051682&highlight=project+beat+xj

Not the only way to do it obviously. But could give you some ideas!

^ how does that work if i don't have something tying the spring towers together??

It works just fine. The unibody is boxed and the coil spring towers are built from extra heavy sheet metal. Nothing is going to move.

Back