• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bars?

YZRacer408

NAXJA Forum User
So im getting ready to install a rubicon express 5.5 long arm on my XJ and i was wandering if any one runs there XJ's with no rear sway bar. Does the rear sway bar restrict the rear axel flexing and are the rear swaybars actually needed. Note i do DD my Jeep

Ditch it, you don't need it. Plus, you would need someway to extend the arms if you planned to run it after the lift anyhow.

Ditched mine 20k miles ago... you old really feel a huge difference with the front disconnected, unless you are towing a 35' gooseneck with a toy hauler behind with and a few quads and dirt bikes... then keep it :)

the front is necessary for street driving the rear is unnecessary.

mine came off with the lift (a few years ago now). I DD and have towed equipment at work a few times when trucks were down and I don't even notice the rear one is gone. I think some were even sold new without them iirc.

What are sway bars?????? lol My rig has neither a front or a rear bar. They are not needed in the front as stated above but do help some people drive better. You just have to be a little move careful of fast hard corners. I have never had an issue with out either of mine and they have both been off for years. And I do drive it to and from the parks and use to be my DD. And I'm at 6" lift with 33's.

Keep the front sway bar. It is a very necessary piece of equipment on the XJ especially with the coil springs up front. On the front of MY XJ, I have 4" lift 165 pound cool springs. With the sway bar disconnected, there is a lot more body rool unless my butt is too sensitive or I do not know how to drive.

The 1994 Plain Jane XJ I used to have came with the rear sway bar which I ditched and did not notice a differrence. My present 1996 with Country suspension did not come with one and I do not see the need to add one.

Front sway bars are not necessary equipment or required. They do reduce body roll in corners, but your jeep won't just fall over in a turn without one. Low cog is far more benificial to handling than a front swaybar on a high cog rig.

The rear swap bar wasn't factory equipment on every XJ. Lots were sold without.
I noticed a positive difference in handling when I put one on my XJ. Not a huge one but it was there.
The front sway bar, well, I sure as hell wouldn't take mine off again. I ran without it for a little while and the car just wouldn't change direction fast enough for my liking. Sure, it was driveable. At 70 mph, though, try and juke the wheel - as if, say, to avoid another motorist doing something silly - and watch how freaking little happens. It just didn't seem to steer the same without that sway bar.
Rode smoother, though, across uneven bumps. + Chicks dig body roll.

thanks everyone yea i didn't think the RE long arm kit came with swaybar extenders anyway so there as good as gone when I install the kit haha. I do need my front cause when im loaded up on the freeway she like to start rocking back and forth pretty scary shit haha. Thanks for all the info

ya i've been running w/o sway bars f&r for YEARS. you just gotta remember your OFFROAD rig is not a race car. I have pretty stiff RE springs tho so that may be a difference

I dont run front or rear sway bars and I have Long arms. Good shocks help a lot. I agree with the above post, its a built XJ, not a 4 cylinder honda, it wont handle the same so drive it accordingly, give yourself longer braking distance, and I drive much more cautiously in the XJ than the honda DDer. Although I did daily drive the XJ for years. I am used to my setup and drive accordingly. make sure your steering and trackbar setup is beefy and nice and tight. Ive even driven with no sway bars and no rear shocks, fully loaded with tons of gear, on windy mountain roads down to the valley back to the city after snapping both rears off on a run. actualyl done that twice. I need limiting straps now that I think about it. I wouldnt reccamend no rear shocks and no sway bars, but I pull the rear off every rig that comes into the garage.

Back