• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TruTrac or Aussie

bigbear

NAXJA Forum User
Getting ready to do a gear change and Hav both setups. Have run my HP 30 With the Aussie for years and have had great results. But have this Detroit TruTrac on the shelf but don't no how well they work?? Besides being a little stronger then the stock carrier?? So advice plz.

Truetrack is the world best LS imho
however in the front I would stick with the aussie, its invisible on the street, and will get you where you need to go in 4wd

Like souske said, the truetrac is a great piece. But it is not for the hard wheeler. For a weekend wheeler just looking to hit some light trails its perfect. But of you really need more traction, I'd get a locker. I have a truetrac in the front and find that it does show it weakness in the rocks. Other than that I love it.

I guess the real question is: do you have a 242?

Dont get me wrong, I have a TT in my street car and love it

I was running an 8.8 with a clutch type ls rear, aussie frt. Loved it.
just upgraded to a arb rear, grizzly front.

If you want a ls, it should go in the rear

No has a 231 and my Aussie done everything in the Big Bear mountains so if the TruTrac won't compare ill put it up for sale !! Was just looking for the best setup in D30 if is one?? Lol

Stay with the Aussie BUT if you are running 33's or 35's you may want to consider going with a full case Detroit locker. The stock D-30 carrier is a fuse if you have alloy shafts and lower gears. I've snapped a D-30 carrier in half. I switched to the full case Detroit and then I snapped the ring gear(all on RCV's and 35's)

I had my last R&P cryoed and now no issues. One mod leads to another, one place strengthened will let you find the next weak point.

Yeah that's what I figured!! Yes I'm on 35's its always the trickle down effect!! Now if we get a Aussie in the center of a Detroit !!! Lol

Thanks for all the comments!!

I had a detroit in the front and it broke twice on me. I had an Aussie before and it was great until it split the carrier in two. I am now using a grizzly and could not be happier with it.

How r the road manners with the Yukon ?? I drive mine everywhere I go.

Aussie all the way. Got one in the front of my MJ and wouldn't trade it for anything, except possibly an OX/ARB :roflmao:

aussie

I had a true trac in my 96 XJ and a spartan in my 90 XJ, both in front. The true trac's are great, but they are not lockers, nor will they perform the same. Stick with the Aussie, especially since you are already familiar with the way it performs.

Well it seam that I will stay with the Aussie or go with grizzly locker !! So the TruTrac for sale!!

ive ran true tracs on a 30 2 different times. very unreliable in the sense that it would hook up when I did not need , and wouldnt hook up when I really needed it, so I went back to a lunchbox and open carrier. I would have done a full detroit or grizzly if i didnt have the lunchbox setup lying around.

Back