• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Control Arm Bushings

CharlesS

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the frame end bushing for a RE Superflex Control and tried the OEM factory control arm replacement rubber bushing and the raised shoulder on the sleeve will not fit inside the control arm eyelet.
What OEM factory bushing might fit inside?

Charles

If you have time to order one, I have heard good things about the stengel bushings.
if you have your jeep ripped apart, I would measure it and head to napa

I am replacing the frame end bushing for a RE Superflex Control and tried the OEM factory control arm replacement rubber bushing and the raised shoulder on the sleeve will not fit inside the control arm eyelet.

For the original style control arms, stock XJ control arm bushings will fit, but they must be pressed in. The local auto repair shop tried a small electric press, but it couldn't do the job. I ended up at a machine shop with a bigger hydraulic press and the bushings went right in.

The factory control arm bushings are a larger diameter for approx. 3/4" near the vertical lip at the outer edge of the bushing. I used a very large hydraulic press at work. The amount of pressure it can exert would rupture the control arm eyelet. The solution would be to have the raised outer diameter turned down several thousandths.
I purchased the RE conversion kit and installed it. Guess I will see how long it lasts.
I have a spare OEM control arm bushing that I will have machined slightly to fit the eyelet just in case.

Back