• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much caster are you running with a long arm lift and a HP D30?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and found this source:

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm

but was wondering if it makes any difference when running different setups (long arm vs. short arm vs. short arm with brackets vs. etc.).

I have just over 6" of lift with a Clayton long arm and 35s on a HP D30. I need to know where the range I should be in for caster....is it around 4.5?

TIA

ok, thanks. So its usually 3.5-4.5 for the HPs and 6-7 for the LPs? I ran 6.5 if I remember correctly on the LP that was in there.

see thats weird cuz im positive i ran somewhere between 6 and 7 just not sure if it was 6/6.5/or 7 but I know it was one of them. I definitley know it wasn't something like 2/2.5/or 3 like you mention it should be

depends on what you want....really i'm running 7* caster for easier return to center the ride is a little stiffer but i like the less steering effort....most run between 4-7* less caster smoother ride but a little more difficult return to center...their are several pro and cons to running greater or lower caster...good thing though it isn't a wear angle!

ok, so the range you gave can be applied to either LPs or HPs, you just have to more or less find the preference within that range?

yes sir and it is easy to check drive shaft angle just need an angle finder and a socket should be within 1-3 degrees for proper driveshaft angle

High or low pinion relates to potential pinion angle, but has nothing to do with caster. Caster changes will produce the same steering and handling changes regardless of high or low pinion. If you don't have locking hubs or an axle disconnect, then the driveline turns all the time and the pinion angle can cause driveline vibrations, and a high pinion will help the pinion angle. So, theoretically, you could get away with slightly more caster, and have slightly more pinion angle, in a high pinion verses a low pinion.

Caster can be anywhere from 3* to 7*, it's a balance between personal preference and pinion angle. More caster will produce a better feel of center, the wheel will return to center better on it's own. Too little castor will produce a feeling of wandering, due to less "return to center" or "feel of center".

High or low pinion relates to potential pinion angle, but has nothing to do with caster. Caster changes will produce the same steering and handling changes regardless of high or low pinion. If you don't have locking hubs or an axle disconnect, then the driveline turns all the time and the pinion angle can cause driveline vibrations, and a high pinion will help the pinion angle. So, theoretically, you could get away with slightly more caster, and have slightly more pinion angle, in a high pinion verses a low pinion.

Caster can be anywhere from 3* to 7*, it's a balance between personal preference and pinion angle. More caster will produce a better feel of center, the wheel will return to center better on it's own. Too little castor will produce a feeling of wandering, due to less "return to center" or "feel of center".

Thanks a bunch, very informative

Im running 7 degrees with 8" lift and long arms. Have minor driveline vibe but very tollerable. I had to run 6 or more to get it to drive decent with the long arms but not the short arms for some reason.

Im running 7 degrees with 8" lift and long arms. Have minor driveline vibe but very tollerable. I had to run 6 or more to get it to drive decent with the long arms but not the short arms for some reason.

Thanks for the input, I will keep that in mind

7" lift..

38e9e021.jpg

I had good driveability, no wandering and good feel, with 7.5" of lift and 3-4* of caster. There are other elements that affect steering feel, like steering link design, steering geometry, backspacing, etc. It all has to work.

I had good driveability, no wandering and good feel, with 7.5" of lift and 3-4* of caster. There are other elements that affect steering feel, like steering link design, steering geometry, backspacing, etc. It all has to work.

I am starting to see this know :)

I'm surprised you guys are able to get decent caster and drive line angle without rotating the knuckles. I only had 1.5 degrees of caster on a 6.5" lift. I re clocked the knuckles back to 7 degrees and it drives with one finger now.

I'm surprised you guys are able to get decent caster and drive line angle without rotating the knuckles. I only had 1.5 degrees of caster on a 6.5" lift. I re clocked the knuckles back to 7 degrees and it drives with one finger now.

Thats weird because I can get all kinds of caster. Its at 7.4 right now and needs to be adjusted it feels "heavy" like its stuck to the ground when driving. I think I am going to dial it to 6-6.5

Back