• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone owned a prior police XJ?

efrie004

NAXJA Forum User
I've been having random misfire issues with my XJ. It's a 98 4.0L with the rough country package.

Anyways, these are the issues I've been experiencing.

I get a misfire on cylinder 2, along with o2 sensor bank one. With these issues I get a rough idle and sometimes a knock. Sometimes the Jeep will run fine though, no rough idle, no knock, everything is perfect. I've checked the battery and alternator, checked the main engine grounds, all vacuum lines, and checked the fuel pump pressure. All that stuff checks out. I've also cleaned the throttle body, I also removed the IAC and cleaned that. When it starts to idle rough, it also runs rough at low RPM's. It's an automatic, and when it shifts into 4th and I'm going anywhere from 40-50 it "lopes" pretty bad. Though when the issue goes away, it runs fine.

I've replaced the o2 sensor, the #2 injector, crank position sensor, distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, and the plugs.

I'm starting to think I have a ground issue, but I'm not quite sure where to start. As stated in the title, the Jeep was used as a police rig, and therefore had all kinds of equipment wired into it. There are a lot of little holes drilled into the console between the seats. I also have issues with my electric windows. The driver side window always works, but the other three are intermittent... Which I find to be odd.

So, whether or not you have owned a police rig, any input would be very helpful with resolving this issue, because I'm getting really tired of spending money on sensors that are doing nothing.

I have a 97 that was a former gov car. It was a super strip model with no power anything, but there was a lot of equipment formaly mounted in it too. When it went to auction they must have just cut the plugs and pulled all the equipment out. I ended up pulling the interior and carpet out so that I could trace all the wire modifications and pulled out a half a trashcan full of excess wire and relays. I then upgraded the cables with 2 ga wire, including all the grounds. This eliminated my flickering headlights, random dead battery, and occasional hard start.
Auto techs from govt agencies aren't always the best mechanics - I would start with taking out everything that isn't factory and replace the grounds.

Back